RESEARCH FIELDHistory › Archaeology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/01/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSweden › Lund
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK100
Lund University hereby invites applications for a two-year appointment as postdoc in Machine Learning and Landscape Analysis based at the Department of Archaeology and Ancient History. The successful candidate will work on the project Artificial Intelligence and Landscape Interpretation; Expanding Methods and Challenging Paradigms. The purpose of the project is to use deep-learning methods to analyse aerial and satellite images with the aim of finding archaeologically interesting traces or remains. RGB, multispectral and LIDAR images will be used in the analysis. The person we are looking for has a PhD in computer science, mathematics, physics or a corresponding area, with a specialisation in machine learning and image analysis. The position is based at the Department of Archaeology and Ancient History, but the work will be conducted in close cooperation with the Department of Astronomy and Theoretical Physics.
The appointee is expected to be able to work independently, but also to cooperate with other researchers within the subject. The postdoc is to participate in, and contribute to, the research environment by, among other things, actively participating in the research seminars and other research-related activities going on within the subject and thereby stimulating the theoretical discussion, contributing their own studies in the area, and contributing to the joint work of initiating new research ideas. The postdoc is expected to conduct their own research mainly at the workplace in Lund. Teaching, supervision and other teaching-related duties may occur within the framework of the appointment, but to a maximum of 20% of working hours.
A person qualified to be appointed as postdoc has, no earlier than three years before the end of the application period, been awarded a PhD or an international qualification deemed to correspond to a PhD. If the degree has been awarded earlier, certification regarding parental leave, illness or similar is to be submitted in conjunction with the application.
Very good and documented English language skills is a requirement.
The expertise to develop and complete high-quality research, and teaching expertise. In the appointment of the postdoc, research expertise is considered to be particularly important. As a basis for the assessment of the applicants’ qualifications, the applicant is to enclose a research plan for the research that is intended to be conducted within the period of employment. Only applicants whose research plan and previous work can strengthen the research environment are to be considered for appointment as postdoc.
- good programming knowledge, particularly regarding machine learning
- experience of machine learning and deep-learning concerning image analysis
Specific additional qualifications (in order of priority)
- documented good ability regarding cooperation
- documented interest for, and experience of, interdisciplinarity
- documented interest for, and experience of, developing research in different environments
The application is to contain the following:
• a signed complete curriculum vitae (CV) and attested copy of the PhD degree
• list of publications (including DOI, ISBN or ISSN numbers)
• a signed plan, maximum 1 500 words (excluding literature lists), of the research project the applicant intends to conduct during the period of employment.
The research plan is to contain a description of:
• aim and research question
• theory and method
• relation to the international research front including the most important international work in the field of research
• schedule and expected results
• the applicant’s capacity and expertise to conduct the project.
Note: The applicant is responsible for ensuring the application is complete in accordance with the instructions above, that everything has been scanned (as a single PDF file) and that the University receives the application by the application deadline via the recruitment portal.
The appointment is a fixed-term position for a maximum of two years and is full time in accordance with “Agreement on fixed-term employment as a postdoc” between labour market parties dated 4 September 2008 (Swedish Agency for Government Employers, OFRs, SACO-S and SEKO).
- Head of department Martin Hansson, https://www.ark.lu.se/person/MartinHansson
- Project coordinator Nicolo Dell'Unto, https://www.ark.lu.se/person/NicoloDellUnto/
- Head of HR Lena Kandefelt, https://www.ht.lu.se/person/LenaKandefelt/
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE4 - 10
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELHistory: PhD or equivalentOther: PhD or equivalent
EURAXESS offer ID: 463129
Posting organisation offer ID: 295102
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.