ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversitat de Barcelona
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE22/11/2019 00:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/01/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
The ARTSOUNDSCAPES project deals with sound, rock art and sacred landscapes among past hunter-gatherers and early agricultural societies around the world. The potential of sound to stimulate powerful emotions makes it a common medium for conferring places with extraordinary agency. Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources indicate that these sites are often endowed with a sacred significance and, in many cases, they also receive special treatment, including the production of rock paintings. Despite the aural experience being an integral component of the human condition and a key element in ritual, archaeology has largely been unable to study it systematically. Rock art landscapes are no exception and, although some studies have been made, they have largely been reproached for their lack of scientific rigour and subjectivity. ARTSOUNDSCAPES will fully address this weakness by investigating the perception of sound in rock art landscapes from an interdisciplinary approach reflected in its five Research Lines:
- Research line 1: Characterising the acoustic properties of rock art landscapes. Aim: to undertake a comprehensive analysis of the acoustic properties of a series of rock art landscapes around the world in order to acquire scientifically accurate data for surveying relationships between sonic effects, soundscape perception and the positioning of rock art.
- Research line 2: The psychoacoustics of rock art landscapes. Aim: to examine the sensations evoked in people by sounds and how they relate to auditory interpretations and physically measurable quantities; to explore auditory perceptions such as echolocation and the augmented audibility and intelligibility of distant sounds.
- Research line 3: Neuropsychology and emotion in rock art landscapes. Aim: to test whether stimulation of the brain with the sound recorded in RL1 can induce patterns of brain activity related to particular emotions such as those provoked by altered or mystical states
- Research line 4: Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources. Aim: to critically revise ethnohistorical and ethnographic records related to music and sound among hunter-gatherers and early agriculturalists and to look at ethnographic variation in sacred beliefs associated to sound in these same societies.
- Research line 5: Phenomenological analysis of sacred emotion and rock art soundscapes. Aim: to combine the results obtained in the previous lines and attempt a phenomenological understanding of sacred soundscapes among late hunter-gatherers and early agriculturalists around the world.
KEY RESPONSABILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Work closely with the project PI, the Senior Post Doctoral Researcher(s) and the other team members;
- Research on Research Line 1 (RL 1) especially in archaeoacoustic fieldwork and assist the Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher(s) in the post-processing of the data gathered during fieldwork and its analysis;
- Collaborate with the PI and team members working in RL2 and RL3;
- Undertake archival and literature research into the use of music and music instruments in past and present communities of interest to the project in an area of the world to be agreed with the PI;
- Unless on fieldwork, attending meetings, conferences or travelling for archival and literature research allowed by the PI, a key responsibility of the researcher will be to work in the Department of History and Archaeology, University of Barcelona.
FUNCTIONS AND/OR TASKS OF THE POSITION
Related to the whole project
- Collaborate with the PI, the senior PD and other team members for all required tasks and RLs in the project.
- Attend to all weekly meetings and seminars as possible being organised by the project
Related to Research Line 1
- Join fieldwork and assist the project PI and the Senior postdoctoral researcher(s) in the field;
- Work together with the project PI and the Senior postdoctoral researcher in the post-processing of data and analysis of acoustic data.
Related to Research Lines 2 and 3
- Assist the PI and the senior staff in ensuring that there is continuous, fluid and effective communication between RL2 and RL3 with the other project research lines aiming to, among other goals, produce joined-up academic work.
Related to Research Line 4
- Undertake some archival and literature research into the use of music and music instruments in past and present communities of interest to the project in an area of the world to be agreed with the PI;
- Undertake some archival and literature research into the cultural and religious meaning of acoustics in past and present communities of interest to the project in the same or not communities and area to be agreed with the PI;
- Undertake some archival and literature research into sound recordings made of acoustics and music instruments in the past and present in a series of selected areas to be agreed with the PI;
- Provide data for the database that will include the findings made during the archival and literature research, including the sound recordings.
- Actively work in academic dissemination by leading the co-writing of at least two articles per year to be published in international peer-reviewed publications.
- Actively participate in conferences agreed by the PI representing the ARTSOUNDSCAPES project with a paper at least once a year
- Actively participate in non-academic dissemination for wider audiences agreed by the PI.
- Perform other related duties as required.
FBG project number
The sound of special places: exploring rock art soundscapes and the sacred
Dr Margarita Díaz-Andreu García
Història i Arqueologia
Gross salary per year
Negotiable between € 18000-22500 € Gross yearly salary
2 international publications if available
2 academic reference letters
All these documents should to be sent to email@example.com by the deadline. Large documents may be sent by alternative media such as Hightail or similar. Please, ask for acknowledgement of receipt
Send your application to:
Prof. Dr Margarita Díaz-Andreu
Application for a Junio Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship Junior in Rock Art Studies
The position is for one year only in the first instance.
Priority will be given to people with disabilities (Law 89/2015 of June 2, reserve of quota 2% in favour of people with disabilities in companies of 50 or more people).
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELOther: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: GoodSPANISH: Good
We are looking for highly motivated, creative, inter-disciplinary
senior researcher with a strong background in rock art and archaeoacoustics
The candidate is expected to possess:
- Positive and strong attitude in teamwork and great commitment to research;
- A PhD in the area of rock art studies;
- Having published in academic peer-reviewed publications on a subject related to rock art;
- Relevant experience in rock art fieldwork;
- Some basic knowledge of ethnohistorical, musicological and ethnographical data related to the role of sound in rock art landscapes;
- Developed writing and speaking skills for communicating with audiences ranging from the general public to international scholars;
- Demonstrated familiarity with conventional research-reporting styles, including project layout, referencing, and written scientific report according to prescribed standards.
- International experience
The candidate is expected to have:
- a PhD in Archaeology;
- experience in archaeological survey
The following specific requirements are considered as assets:
- A PhD thesis in the field of rock art;
- Three publications on rock art
EURAXESS offer ID: 460653
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.