ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Tartu
RESEARCH FIELDChemistryPhysics › BiophysicsPhysics › Computational physicsPhysics › Condensed matter propertiesTechnology › Nanotechnology
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE03/02/2020 18:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONEstonia › Tartu 50411
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
We are looking for an ambitious researcher who is interested in participating in shaping the research strategies of Institute of Technology in University of Tartu by taking the lead as ERA Chair holder!
The ERA Chair will be institutionalised as an independent research laboratory under in University of Tartu, Institute of Technology, engaging ERA Chair holder and his/her team members. The formation of the ERA Chair of Materials in Extreme Environments (MATTER) will combine three challenging fields of computer simulations, nano-manipulation, and biomedical engineering, towards application in two directions – biomedical applications and nanomaterials. MATTER will build on the well-equipped core facilities of University of Tartu and establish synergies with the most influential research infrastructure in Estonia and in neighbouring countries for delivering high-level research and innovation.
The concept pursued with ERA Chair is for University of Tartu to become the leading European institution in respective fields of science and increase its capacities to deliver fundamental, as well as applied research focusing on sustainable nano-fabrication, real-time nano-characterization, and materials modelling to induce cutting-edge technology transfer from research environment to industry. A strong emphasis is placed on the improvement of collaboration between Estonian universities and enterprises by creating a network, increasing the number of cooperation agreements (high-tech services) and improving the overall entrepreneurialism within academia.
MATTER focuses on nanoscale material behaviour in complex environments and upscaling of control of nanomaterials for interdisciplinary and widespread use. MATTER enables breakthrough research in areas such as biomedical applications (nano-medicine, drug delivery, regenerative medicine), renewable energy sources, high electric field applications, high power microwave and radar equipment, materials research, ICT and electronics applications, MEMS & NEMS etc.
ERA Chair position in Materials Research in Extreme Environments is part of H2020 Spreading Excellence and Widening Participation H2020-WIDESPREAD-2018-2020 and has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 856705.
Most significant tasks as ERA Chair holder:
- unlocking and promotion of synergy both in terms of advancing basic science and technology, and delivering research results that cross the boundaries of established research directions, thereby creating a new frontier;
- developing PhD study curricula;
- formulation and daily management of ERA Chair research team;
- formulation of ERA Chair research strategy, participation of smart specialization strategy planning and execution of the Institute of Technology;
- planning, initiation, and preparation of research projects and proposals, including national, European and international level;
- interdisciplinary technology transfers between different research areas in ERA Chair and from ERA Chair to industry;
- supervision of PhD students;
- internationally recognised research;
- analyzing technology transfer opportunities, establishing industrial contacts and conducting technology transfer from Institute of Technology to industry.
See also job description.
PhD in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science or in a similar field or an equivalent qualification.
The ERA Chair holder will be an excellent researcher with a proven record of effective leadership complemented with an outstanding track record of scientific publications. Additional capacities include an international reputation based on research excellence, track record in obtaining research funding/budgets/resources, leading research units and skills at managing and supervising other researchers and students.
Competence is required in at least two or more of the following and related fields:
- multiscale computer simulations of nanoscale materials and surfaces under heterogeneous extreme external conditions;
- development of multiscale computer simulation methodology with a specific focus on atomistic and mesoscales;
- surface microscopy, nanomanipulation, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Transmission Electron Microscopy;
- development of nanomanipulation technologies with the aim of upscaling nano-control and reduction of level of technology needed with the aim of application outside specialized lab environment and in multidisciplinary research;
- biomedical engineering, medical or bio-physics, targeted drug delivery and similar;
- outreach to combine topics above: nanomaterials in bio-environments, biocompatible materials, nano-micro medicine or comparable.
- strong publication record in international research journals;
- track record in obtaining research funding;
- preferably 5 years of experience in leading research units;
- experience in formulating research and management plans;
- experience in supervising other researchers and students (including supervision of PhD students);
- experience with industrial collaborations and technology transfer.
Required language skills
Starting at 01.07.2020, temporary contract to 31.12.2024
Salary: Internationally competitive and motivating salary based on previous experience. Relocation and Family allowance is available.
Application documents and notification of results
In order to be considered for the position, the candidate must submit to the UT Human Resources Office (email: email@example.com; postal address: 18 Ülikooli St,Tartu 50090 ESTONIA) following documents:
- a letter of application to the Rector,
- a curriculum vitae in the established format,
- a list of research publications (if necessary, enclosing copies or offprints of more important publications),
- a copy of a document (including its annexes) which shows the candidate to hold the required qualification (authorized translation into Estonian, English or Russian if the credential is not in one of these languages). A candidate can be required to submit the original or a certified copy of the document (including its annexes) showing the candidate to hold the required qualification. If the candidate has acquired the higher education in question abroad, he or she may be required to submit an assessment issued by the Academic Recognition Information Centre (the Estonian ENIC/NARIC) of his or her qualification in respect of the qualification requirements for the position;
- other materials considered relevant by the candidate (a list of such materials must be included in the application or annexed to it).
- a letter of motivation (1-2 pages) and initial vision of the research strategy (1-2 pages). The best candidates will be invited to University of Tartu to present a public lecture or venia legendi (all travelling costs will be covered).
Number of copies: 1
Notification of results: The candidate will be notified of election results within two weeks following the election. The assessments drawn up in respect of the candidate and the documents specified in paragraph 5 of the list of documents will be returned to the candidate. Unsuccessful candidates can also request the return of documents specified in paragraphs 2 -4 of the list.
Further information from Vahur Zadin, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web site for additional job details
- Travel support
- Family allowance
ERA Chair position will be open to all EU non-EU nationals and in line with the guidelines of European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct, where candidates are not discriminated in any way on the basis of gender, age, ethnic, national or social origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, language, disability, political opinion, social or economic situation.
The evaluation committee will evaluate and rank the candidates, carry out interviews (teleconference) and make the final selection. The best candidate will be proposed to the Council of the host institution for the final voting. The recruitment process will be an open, transparent and merit-based!
University of Tartu
University of Tartu, host of the ERA Chair, UT (founded in 1632) is the oldest, largest and the only classical university in Estonia. UT belongs to the top 1% of the world’s most-cited universities and research institutions in the fields of Clinical Medicine, Chemistry, Environment & Ecology, Geoscience, Plant & Animal Science, Social Sciences (general), Molecular Biology & Genetics, Biology & Biochemistry, Neuroscience & Behavior, Psychiatry & Psychology (ISI Web of Science 2017). The university has cooperation agreements with 81 universities in 30 countries and participates in the activities of several European university networks, such as the Utrecht Network and Coimbra Group.
EURAXESS offer ID: 455635
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.