ORGANISATION/COMPANYPolitecnico di Milano
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biological engineeringEngineering › Biomaterial engineeringEngineering › Biomedical engineeringMedical sciences › MedicinePharmacological sciences › ToxicologyPhysics › BiophysicsTechnology › BiotechnologyTechnology › Pharmaceutical technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/01/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONMultiple locations, see work locations below.
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38-40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/02/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER860715
The Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Innovative Training Network (H2020-MSCA-ITN-2019-860715) “Advanced technologieS for drug dIscovery and precisioN mEdicine: in vitRo modellinG human physiology and diseAse” (SINERGIA) invites applications for 15 early-stage researcher (ESR) positions, available with a starting date in the period Feb 1st – May 1st 2020 for a period of three years. The network comprises 10 beneficiaries and 4 partner organisations from both the academic and industrial sectors from 6 countries (Italy, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Czech Republic, Germany and United Kingdom).
The SINERGIA project provides research and training opportunities for early-stage researchers in the field the emerging technologies in drug development and precision medicine. Specifically, SINERGIA aims at improving the dialogue among the main stakeholders in the drug discovery field, and at developing advanced models of human physiology and diseases, to be ultimately introduced in the preclinical stages of the drug discovery pipeline.
SINERGIA’s research programme addresses three investigational areas of the drug development process – namely drug benefit, drug safety and precision medicine – with the aim of bringing advanced models built on innovative Technologies from bench to the pharmaceutical market. SINERGIA research objectives are: i) drug benefit, ii) drug safety, and iii) precision medicine. SINERGIA’s approach will be:
- Multi-sectoral, encompassing academia, biotechs and Contact Research Organizations, and also accounting for the support of clinicians from hospitals enrolled as beneficiary or partner organizations
- Multi-technological, involving the exploitation of different and complementary cutting-edge technologies, i.e. microfluidics, bioreactors, 3D-printing, induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) that will be synergistically used to generate relevant in vitro models of human physiology and diseases
- Multi-disciplinary, in that the researchers will be involved in individual projects (each leading to PhD degree), spanning from technology development to disease modelling. SINERGIA will establish new in vitro models enabling for drug discovery by taking advantage of cutting-edge technologies that are currently emerging as extremely promising and innovative, either alone ot through their possible combinations.
Training will be achieved either through research or by education. Research training includes Secondments at partner premises, Training by education includes transferable skills training and comprises attendance to both local training activities and network-wide training activities. In addition, ESRs will attend 3 SINERGIA Summer Schools. The ESRs will also have the opportunity to enrol for a PhD.
For further details and to submit your application, please visit www.sinergia2020.polimi.it.
We are looking for highly motivated researchers with an excellent academic background in Bioengineering, Chemistry, Material Science, Biology and Physics.
Applicants must at the time of recruitment:
1) Have a BSc and a MSc or equivalent in Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Physics, Biology, Medicine or a related discipline
2) Be in the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers
3) Have not been awarded a doctoral degree
4) Have not resided in the country of the host beneficiary for more than 12 months in the last 3 years
Principal SINERGIA partners and hosts for ESRs
- Politecnico di Milano (POLIMI), Milano, Italy
- Universitat Basel (UNIBAS/USB), Basel, Switzerland
- Universiteit Maastricht (UMaastricht), Maastricht, The Netherland
- Fakultni Nemocnice U Sv. Anny V Brne (ICRC Brno), Brno, Czech Republic
- Universitaetsklinikum Aachen (UKA), Aachen, Germany
- Ente Ospedaliero Cantonale (EOC), Lugano, Switzerland
- Accelera Srl (ACCELERA), Nerviano, Italy
- Lifetec Group BV (LIFETEC), Eindhoven, The Netherland
- BiomimX Srl (BIOMIMX), Milano, Italy
- MTTLAB SRL (MTTLAB), Udine, Italy
Titles of the projects:
- Developing a miniaturized ex vivo culture system for drug testing on patient-specific tumour specimens. Host: UNIBAS/USB (CH)
- Generation of a 3D in vitro model to study cardiac fibroblast contribution to myocardial fibrosis. Host: ICRC Brno (CZ)
- Kidney fibrosis in vitro model. Host: UMaastricht (NL)
- An in vitro model of skeletal muscle tissue to test anti-fibrotic therapies. Host: EOC (CH)
- Multi-compartment microfluidic model to improve gut microbiome-mediated immunotherapy efficiency. Host: POLIMI (IT)
- Bioprinting of kidney rudiment for drug safety screening. Host: UMaastricht (NL)
- uHeart: an in vitro human miniaturized model for the detection of drug-induced functional cardiotoxicity. Host: BIOMIMX (IT)
- Set-up and preliminary validation of a modular high-throughput microfluidic system for assessing drug toxicity and metabolism in the hepatobiliary environment. Host: ACCELERA (IT)
- Validation of in vitro 3D liver model for efficacy and/or toxicology studies. Host: MTTLAB (IT)
- Development of an ex-vivo liver model to study drug treatment. Host: LIFETEC (NL)
- Generation of a patient-specific in vitro model of cardiac fibrosis for personalized anti-fibrotic drug screening. Host: ICRC Brno (CZ)
- Engineering a perfusion-based bioreactor system to study metastatic breast cancer interactions with bone microenvironments. Host: UNIBAS/USB (CH)
- Microfluidic bone chip to personalize the therapeutic regimen of bone metastatic tumours. Host: EOC (CH)
- Validation of in vitro approaches for precision based medicine. Host: UKA (DE)
- Development of a patient-specific a lab-on-chip cardiac microtissue model of dystrophin deficient cardiomyopathy. Host: POLIMI (IT)
The successful candidates will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for Early Stage Researchers. The exact (net) salary will be confirmed upon appointment and is dependent on local tax regulations and on the country correction factor (to allow for the difference in cost of living in different EU Member States). The salary includes a living allowance, a mobility allowance and a family allowance (if married or equivalent). The guaranteed PhD funding is for 36 months.
EU Marie Skłodowska-Curie eligibility criteria
Applicants can be of any nationality. They need to fully respect all two eligibility criteria (to be demonstrated in the Europass CV):
- Early-stage researchers (ESR) are those who are, at the time of recruitment by the host, in the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers. This is measured from the date when they obtained the degree which formally entitles them to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the research training is provided, irrespective of whether or not a doctorate was envisaged.
Conditions of international mobility of researchers: Researchers are required to undertake trans-national mobility (i.e. move from one country to another) when taking up the appointment. At the time of selection by the host organisation, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to their recruitment. Short stays, such as holidays, are not taken into account.
All applications proceed via the official SINERGIA website, www.sinergia2020.polimi.it. You can apply for more than one position (up to 5), and in that case each application will be evaluated independently by the respective Partner. Candidates provide all requested information including a detailed CV, an application letter and two letters of reference. During the registration, applicants will need to prove that they are eligible (cf. ESR definition, mobility criteria, and English language proficiency).
15 December 2019: Application deadline for PhD fellowships
16 December 2019-31 January 2020: Evaluation, interviews and selection process
1 February 2020: ESRs start to be employed
Diversity is a core value of SINERGIA. We are an inclusive community, and we believe that diversity and international activities enhance the quality of research and training. We are looking for people who can enhance diversity in our team thanks to their background and experience.
Special attention will be paid to gender-equality. Female researchers are strongly encouraged to apply; in case of equal qualification in the recruitment procedure, the enrolment of female candidates will be prioritized.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalentEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentChemistry: Master Degree or equivalentTechnology: Master Degree or equivalentMedical sciences: Master Degree or equivalentPhysics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- MSc degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline (e.g.; bioengineering, biology, biophysics, biotechnology, medicine; check the specific projects);
- excellent research skills and experience in research by means of scientific publications will be favored (e.g. conference papers, journal articles, book chapters);
- high level of proficiency in English language
- outstanding communication skills as well as organizational talent and willingness to engage in international, interdisciplinary collaborative research, workshops and secondments;
- ability to work on own initiative and manage own workload, as well as to keep to tight deadlines
Check the individual projects for specific requirements.
EURAXESS offer ID: 452103
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.