RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Computational chemistryPhysics › Chemical physicsPhysics › Quantum mechanics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE29/11/2019 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Munich
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
OFFER STARTING DATE01/03/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
Three ERC funded Ph.D. positions: Our research group (AK Jagau), situated at the Department of Chemistry, LMU Munich, is looking for three excellent and highly motivated Ph.D. students to work on the project T-CUBE (Theoretical Chemistry of Unbound Electrons) funded by a Starting Grant of the European Research Council. We offer you to join a young and aspiring team in a stimulating work environment.
Project description: T-CUBE aims at the theoretical modeling of chemistry involving the electronic continuum. At present, pathways and product distributions of processes involving unbound electrons such as dissociative electron attachment and Coulomb explosion are poorly understood. T-CUBE seeks to overcome these limitations. We will investigate the chemistry of unbound electrons in larger molecules and condensed phase, for example, in solutions, polymeric networks, and biomolecules. Aspects that we will address include: energetics and character of resonances in different environments, resulting changes in chemical reactivity, and the interplay of nuclear motion and electron loss. To achieve these goals, quantum chemistry needs to be advanced substantially. We will develop
- quantum-chemical methods for electronic resonances suitable for up to 100 atoms,
- a quantum embedding scheme for describing different environments
- molecular dynamics simulations that take into account electron loss
Successful candidates will be involved in either of these projects.
Salary: Pay grade E13 (67%) according to TV-L scale of German public service
Start date: 01/03/2020 or upon mutual agreement
Duration: Up to 4 years. The positions are initially offered for one year, but with the intention of a 3-year extension.
Website: Further information about the project is available at: http://jagau.cup.uni-muenchen.de/research/erc-stg-project-t-cube/
Application deadline: 29/11/2019
How to apply: Applications and inquiries should be sent by email to Dr. Jagau (firstname.lastname@example.org). Your application should include in PDF format
- a brief cover letter explaining your research interests and motivation to apply
- your CV
- transcripts of your grades (B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree)
- the names and contact details of 2-3 academic referees (preferably not all at the same institution)
- optionally a copy of your M.Sc. thesis
The positions will be filled as soon as possible, preference will be given to applications received before the deadline (15/11/2019). Applications received after the deadline might be considered.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELChemistry: Master Degree or equivalentPhysics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
We invite qualified candidates with a strong commitment to basic science to apply.
- Applicants should hold a master degree in chemistry or physics or an equivalent degree.
- Interest in and curiosity about quantum mechanics and electronic-structure theory are paramount.
- Experiences with quantum-chemical program packages and scientific programming are desirable.
- Projects can be tailored to fit the expertise, scientific background, and interests of applicants.
EURAXESS offer ID: 450491
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.