RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/10/2019 21:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Biberach
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER860592
The position is part of the Innovative Training Network (ITN) “PROTON”. The network is devoted to the investigation of proton transport and proton-coupled transport. It is funded under Marie Sklodowska-Curie actions (H2020-MSCA-ITN-2019, grant agreement number: 860592.
The successful applicants will perform her/his studies and research at
Boehringer Ingelheim (Biberach)
These will be your tasks
The aim of the PhD project is the determination of the 3D structure of a proton sensing GPCR by x-ray crystallography or cryo electron microscopy. The work includes construct design by gene engineering, protein expression in insect cells, membrane preparation, development of a purification protocol, crystallization by LCPs and structure solution.
Another aspect of the work is to explore the role of different pH values and the influence of small molecules or metal ions on the function and structure of the GPRC by biophysical, cell-based or structural methods.
The PhD student will have two secondments:
- University of Oslo, Lab of Prof. H. Lücke
- University of Vienna, Lab of E. Pohl
full time employment, mobility allowance, familiy allowance (if applicable)
please see requirements
- Motivation letter
- Reference letters
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of Bachelor and Master certificates
- Publications (if available).
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
1. Applicants must, at the date of recruitment by PROTON, be in the first four years (full‐time equivalent research experience measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate) of their research careers
2. They should not have been awarded a doctoral degree.
3. Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Germany for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. This excludes short stays such as holidays or compulsory national service.
4. We look for students with exceptional academic performance holding or very close to completing their Master degree in Physics, Chemistry, Biophysics, Biochemistry or closely related subjects,
5. Knowledge of the English language is essential.
- Protein expression and purification
- Experience with membrane proteins (GPCR)
- Biophysical methods and protein analytics (e.g. SEC-MALS, SPR, MST, DSF, CD)
- Knowledge and practical experience with structural biology methods (programs) with standard computational chemistry software packages
- Molecular biology techniques, e.g. site directed mutagenesis
- Soft skills: presentation skill, team working ability
For all the above, knowledge is proven by publications, certificates, master thesis or equivalent documentation. Skills should be acknowledged in reference letters and demonstrated during the interview (presentation skills). During the interview each applicants presents his/her master thesis and a scientific paper from an area unrelated to his/her specialization (chosen by the interviewers).
Women are encouraged to apply. The recruitment committee gives preference to female candidates if they are equally qualified as male candidates.
EURAXESS offer ID: 449504
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.