RESEARCH FIELDComputer science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE28/09/2019 22:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Funchal
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
REFERENCE NUMBERMITIEXCELL – RH60
A call is open for 1 research assistant at the Madeira-Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) of the University of Madeira (Funchal, Portugal), under the Regional Project M1420-01-0145-FEDER-000002, co-financed by “Madeira 14-20” – MITIExcell, under the following conditions:
Closing date: 24/09/2019
Type of contract: full time
Start date: 01-10-2019 (or any date after this)
Duration: 3 months, eventually renewable up to 9 months in total
Monthly stipend: 989,70 Euros
Job country: Portugal
Job city: Funchal
Job company/institute: Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI)
Workplace: Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI)
Main research field: Computer Engineering
Perform a thorough related work seep on Ai and storytelling in order to brainstorm and prototype novel concepts centered around AI driven characters and interactive storytelling. A series of concepts will be validated with a wide variety of audience in order to select a final concept for iterative prototyping and deployment on site. The context of the research will be revolving around New Augmented Reality (AR) applications helping scientists to visualize animal and oceanography data and engaging citizens with global pressures in climate action and biodiversity loss.
Main tasks of the researcher will be:
- First 3 months: Collect state of the art and related work on Ai and storytelling, Ai driven characters and conversational agents; interactive character driven storytelling making use of AR and VR technologies. The work will be made available through an extensive report.
- After the first two months initial brainstorms of concepts begins, and concepts validations with experts (entertainment experts, biologist’s, and tourists)
- Choice of one or two concepts and refinements of several version of it.
- In the subsequent 3 months - (from month 4 to 6): from low to hi fi prototyping and refining. Testing and evaluations will be ongoing. Some preliminary publications could already be disseminated.
- Connecting the work with sensors data and Field testing. Major dissemination effort.
Candidates should meet three or more of the following requirements, skills and competences:
● Completed a Bachelor’s degree in CS and Master degree in Entertainment Technologies
● Excellent spoken and written English skills is mandatory
● Fluency or ability to learn AI agents’ technologies
V. Nisi, C. Prandi, N.J. Nunes, Making Smart Cities More Playable, 235-257, Springer Singapore
The work will be conducted at Madeira-ITI (Funchal, Portugal), under the supervision of Prof. Valentina Nisi.
Legislation and regulations:
The scholarships are directed to applicants under the current conditions established on the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/) and Research Grant Holder Statute.
The scholarship will have a length of 3 months, with a possibility of renewal, with an expected start of October 1st, 2019.
The student will receive a stipend of 989,70 €/month as determined by the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). Accidents insurance is included.
How to apply:
Candidates must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 18-09-2019. The subject of the email should be: MITIEXCELL – RH60.
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (mandatory)
- Optional list of projects in the area that have already participated will be a plus
The curricular selection process will be based on:
- Curriculum Vitae (60%)
- Interview (40%) if there are multiple eligible candidates
- Sabrina Scuri, PhD - M-ITI, UMa
- Nuno Nunes, PhD - IST, M-ITI
- Valentina Nisi, PhD - UMa, M-ITI
Notification of results:
The final results will be published through an ordered list by final note that will be posted in a visible and public place at the Madeira-ITI, being all candidates notified by email.
· The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
· MITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
· The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.
EURAXESS offer ID: 441142
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.