RESEARCH FIELDComputer science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE13/09/2019 22:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Funchal
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK40
REFERENCE NUMBERMITIEXCELL – RH58
A call is open for 1 research assistant at the Madeira-Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) of the University of Madeira (Funchal, Portugal), under the Regional Project M1420-01-0145-FEDER-000002, co-financed by “Madeira 14-20” – MITIExcell, under the following conditions:
Closing date: 13/09/2019
Type of contract: full time
Start date: 15-09-2019 (or any date after this)
Duration: 3 months, eventually renewable
Monthly stipend: 752,38 Euros
Job country: Portugal
Job city: Funchal
Job company/institute: Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI)
Workplace: Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI)
Main research field: Computer Engineering
While machine learning technologies are capable in solving numerous human-centric challenges (e.g. autonomous driving, cancer identification, etc), their application remains scarce in aquatic setting. Decoding marine mammal communication still remains an unsolved challenge, and there is a growing interest for platforms to crack the language (e.g. https://cetalingua.com/, https://www.ceti.foundation) where citizen scientists meet the artificial intelligence. This project will use the existing IoT apparatus POSEIDON (Passive-acoustic Ocean Sensor for Entertainment and Interactive Data-gathering in Opportunistic Nautical-activities) to collect samples, train models and classify the acoustics of cetacean vocal calls matching them with the exact marine taxa (e.g. discriminating a pilot whale, against sperm whale).
Main tasks of the researcher will be:
- Applying machine learning to existing cetacean acoustic datasets (e.g. Watkins)
- Applying machine learning to collected samples of Madeiran cetaceans from whale-watching sea vessels using POSEIDON apparatus
- Performing offline machine learning and benchmarking of diverse machine learning classifiers (e.g. k Nearest Neighbor kNN, Support Vector Machines, Random forests, Extra trees, Gradient boosting, etc)
- Using the existing open-source software (e.g pyAudioAnalysis, pAura and/or contributing to them) for Feature Extraction, Classification and Regression, Segmentation, Data-visualization (if any)
- Performing post-production on collected acoustic samples, such as noise reduction and trimming, using the open source software (e.g. Audacity)
Candidates should meet three or more of the following requirements, skills and competences:
● Completed a Bachelor’s degree
● Excellent spoken and written English skills is mandatory
● Fluency or ability to learn Python
Radeta, Marko, et al. "POSEIDON-Passive-acoustic Ocean Sensor for Entertainment and Interactive Data-gathering in Opportunistic Nautical-activities." Proceedings of the 2018 on Designing Interactive Systems Conference 2018. ACM, 2018.
The work will be conducted at Madeira-ITI (Funchal, Portugal), under the supervision of Dr. Marko Radeta.
Legislation and regulations:
The scholarships are directed to applicants under the current conditions established on the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/) and Research Grant Holder Statute.
The scholarship will have a length of 3 months, with a possibility of renewal, with an expected start of September 15th, 2019.
The student will receive a stipend of 752,38 €/month as determined by the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). Accidents insurance is included.
How to apply:
Candidates must send an email to email@example.com no later than 13-09-2019. The subject of the email should be: MITIEXCELL – RH58.
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (mandatory)
- Optional list of projects in the area that have already participated will be a plus
The curricular selection process will be based on:
- Curriculum Vitae (60%)
- Interview (40%) if there are multiple eligible candidates
- Marko Radeta, PhD - M-ITI, UMa
- Nuno Nunes, PhD - IST, M-ITI
- Valentina Nisi, PhD - UMa, M-ITI
Notification of results:
The final results will be published through an ordered list by final note that will be posted in a visible and public place at the Madeira-ITI, being all candidates notified by email.
· The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
· MITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
· The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.
EURAXESS offer ID: 437375
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.