RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE06/09/2019 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Funchal
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2019
A call is open for one research fellow at the Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) of the University of Madeira (Funchal, Portugal), under the Regional Project M1420-01-0145-FEDER-000002, co-financed by “Madeira 14-20” – MITIExcell, under the following conditions:
Closing date: 06-09-2019
Type of contract: full-time
Start date: 01-10-2019 (preferable)
Duration: 15 months, not renewable
Monthly stipend: 989,70 Euros + Voluntary Social Security (SSV)
Job Country: Portugal
Job City: Funchal
Job Company / Institute: Interactive Technologies Institute (ITI/LARSYS)
Main research field: Computer Science - Data Science - Machine Learning - Water-Energy-Food Nexus
This research grant targets highly motivated students interested in pursuing a PhD degree. The research produced during this grant is expected to contribute to a successful fully funded PhD studentship application to a doctoral program of the University of Madeira and/or the University of Lisbon.
Industrial kitchens (IKs) are the perfect example of the deep interconnections between water, energy, and food. Proper design and operation of these spaces are thus fundamental to ensure the sustainable production and consumption of such resources in an ever-growing population.
The focus of this position will be to investigate how to conduct meaningful benchmarks that spam several aspects of IKs, including resource consumption (energy and water), waste generation and handling, and kitchen operation (e.g., movement of goods and staff).
The main tasks of the selected candidate include:
- Conduct a thorough literature review of benchmarking methodologies for IKs
- Conduct a thorough survey on Key Performance Indicators for IKs
- Based on the outputs of the previous tasks, propose a benchmark methodology that can be applied to high-end IKs
The work will be conducted at M-ITI (Funchal, Portugal), under the supervision of Prof. Lucas Pereira.
Legislation and regulations:
The scholarships are directed to applicants under the current conditions established on the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/) and Research Grant Holder Statute.
The scholarship will have a length of 15 months, with an expected start date of October 1st, 2019 and end date of the 31st of December 2020.
The student will receive a stipend of 989,70€/month as determined by the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). Voluntary Social Security (SSV) and accidents insurance are included.
Candidates should have the following requirements, skills, and competencies:
- MSc (or equivalent) in computer science or a related field of engineering
- Experience in the development and deployment of sensing technology
- Very good programming skills (e.g., Java, Python, etc.)
- Experience with data science methods (e.g., data acquisition, analysis, and visualization)
- Very good spoken and written English skills are required
- Experience with machine learning and/or deep-learning frameworks is a plus
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 06-09-2019. The subject of the email should be MITIExcell-RH57.
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae including (mandatory)
- Motivation letter (mandatory)
- Optional recommendation letters can contribute positively to the candidate evaluation (facultative)
The curricular selection process will be based on:
- Motivation letter (10%)
- Curriculum Vitae (30%)
- Previous experience (30%)
- Interview (30%) if there are multiple eligible candidates
- Prof Lucas Pereira
- Prof Nuno Jardim Nunes
- Prof Fernando Morgado-Dias
Notification of results:
An email message will be sent to each applicant.
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- MITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
- The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.
EURAXESS offer ID: 435858
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.