ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Tartu
RESEARCH FIELDMedical sciences › Medicine
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/09/2019 18:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONEstonia › Tartu
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated researcher in medical genetics and diagnostics, molecular medicine, and/or clinical research or related fields to join an interdisciplinary research group formed through the ERA Chair project Center for Genomics, Evolution and Medicine (cGEM) at the University of Tartu, Estonia. This group, led by cGEM ERA Chair Dr Anders Eriksson, was recently formed with the goal to bridge the fields of bioinformatics, evolutionary biology and genomic medicine. These fields have each undergone explosive growth thanks to recent theoretical and technological advances, but there is a lag in interdisciplinary research, which also contributes to the difficulties in translating basic research results into clinical practice and viable science-based business ideas. The main task of the research group is to unlock and promote synergy both in terms of advancing basic science and technology, and delivering research results that cross the boundaries of established research directions, thereby creating a new frontier of science at the host institution. To this end, the research in the cGEM ERA Chair group will be focussed on combining tools and data from different disciplines to gain insights into the genetic variation, regulatory mechanisms for gene expression and gene-environment interactions responsible for variation in complex human traits and susceptibility to disease within and between and populations, and translating these insights into clinical practise and collaboration with industry.
The cGEM ERA Chair group offers unique opportunities for this research as it is tightly integrated with the Institutes of Genomics (IG) and Clinical Medicine (ICM) at the University of Tartu, with a vibrant and internationally recognised research community and unique resources such as the Estonian national biobank containing 200,000 samples with matching genetic, physiological and health information, a global biobank of over 25,000 human DNA samples from hundreds of populations, as well as modern facilities and equipment, including High Performance Computing cluster (hpc.ut.ee), high-throughput sequencing, ancient DNA facilities, and processing of sample tissue, blood and cell cultures. In addition, the secured funding allows to hire one Junior Research Fellow and one PhD student working under the supervision of the successful applicant.
The main responsibilities of the post hold will be to carry out research and development in medical genetics/genomics and diagnostics, molecular medicine, and/or clinical research or related fields; to work with the other members of the groups to unlock synergy between large scale population-based biobank, computational genomics, population and medical genetics in genomics guided evolutionary medicine; and to supervise Junior Research Fellows and PhD students in the group. The post holder will also have an essential role together with the cGEM group leader, PI and the Project Management Board in the selection process during recruitment of Junior Research Fellows and PhD students.
The main tasks of this position are:
• Research, development and creative (RDC) activities in medical genetics/genomics and diagnostics, molecular medicine, and/or clinical research or related fields, at least 70% of working time.
• High-level RDC activities, including directing RDC activities in the research theme, taking care that necessary resources are available for it, and taking responsibility for the performance of RDC activities.
• Internationally recognised research in five years at least in the volume equivalent to that of two doctoral theses.
• Supervision of academic staff members involved in RDC activities.
• Participation in the research-organisational activities of international dimension.
• Development of skills necessary for RDC activities, and professional development.
• Teaching and activities related to the administration and development of teaching, up to 20% of working time.
• Teaching, using modern teaching methods and educational technology; primarily supervision of students, incl. doctoral students.
• Professional development to enhance teaching and supervising skills.
• Activities related to the governance and institutional development of the university, at least 5% of working time.
• Social and public activities, at least 5% of working time.
Remuneration according to salary rules of University of Tartu, depending on the candidate's qualification and experience up to 3600EUR/month (before tax).
In order to be considered for the position, the candidate must submit to the UT Human Resources Office (email: email@example.com; postal address: 18 Ülikooli St, Tartu 50090 ESTONIA) following documents:
- a letter of application and a motivation letter,
- a curriculum vitae in the established format,
- a list of research publications (if necessary, enclosing copies or offprints of more important publications),
- a copy of a document (including its annexes) which shows the candidate to hold the required qualification (authorized translation into Estonian, English or Russian if the credential is not in one of these languages). A candidate can be required to submit the original or a certified copy of the document (including its annexes) showing the candidate to hold the required qualification. If the candidate has acquired the higher education in question abroad, he or she may be required to submit an assessment issued by the Academic Recognition Information Centre (the Estonian ENIC/NARIC) of his or her qualification in respect of the qualification requirements for the position;
- a research agenda including contacts of two references,
- other materials considered relevant by the candidate (a list of such materials must be included in the application or annexed to it).
Candidates for the position of professor or reseach professor shall present a statement not exceeding 1500 words of the aims to be achieved during the term in the position, and the outline of an action plan for achieving these.
Number of copies: 1
Notification of results: The candidate will be notified of election results within two weeks following the election. The assessments drawn up in respect of the candidate and the documents specified in paragraph 5 of the list of documents will be returned to the candidate. Unsuccessful candidates can also request the return of documents specified in paragraphs 2-4 of the list.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELMedical sciences: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Essential skills and experience
- Nationally/Internationally-recognised knowledge and emerging reputation in Genetics/Genomics
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Track record of producing publications of outstanding quality
- Track record of contributions to national/international research conferences
- Track record in supervising undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Strong organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Capacity to engage, mentor and motivate colleagues
Desirable skills and experience
- Track record of industry collaboration
- Track record of obtaining funded research projects
- Recognised teaching ability
- Experience in team or project management
- Experience in classroom teaching and tutoring
EURAXESS offer ID: 433462
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.