ORGANISATION/COMPANYHelmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht - Centre for Materials and Coastal Research (HZG)
RESEARCH FIELDChemistryComputer scienceEngineeringPhysicsTechnology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE28/09/2019 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Geestacht
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
h3. 3 Research Scientists (Postdocs) (m/f/d) for Modelling and Simulation in the field of Polymer Membranes
*code no. 2019/P 6*
*The place of employment is Geesthacht.*
*The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG)* in Geesthacht near Hamburg and in Teltow near Berlin, conducts materials and coastal research. For further information please refer to: www.hzg.de
*HZG* is one of the 19 national institutions of the Hermann von Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres e.V. (HGF). Around 950 employees carry out basic research and development work in close cooperation with national and international research institutions, research-oriented clinics and economic and public institutions.
At the *Institute of Polymer Research* around 50 scientists research membranes for applications in material separation. With its interdisciplinary materials and engineering research the institute covers the entire spectrum from basic research to industrial application.
*The Institute of Polymer Research* develops materials and processes for novel polymer membranes for gas and liquid phase separation. In our research, we combine experiments with digital models with the goal of accelerating membrane design and process improvement.
In order to enlarge our modelling and simulation activities we invite applications for *three Postdoc positions (m/f/d)* with a focus on the development of computational models (digital twins) for three different tasks within our institute. Preferred starting date of these job positions is October 1st, 2019 and they are initially limited for two years.
1) Development of a molecular model to design novel monomers and polymers for the membrane development, which allows predicting of physical and chemical properties of the polymers and polymer membranes, should provide further insight into the separation process. You will establish a properties database and validate your model with experimental results.
2) Development of computational models for upscaling the process of polymer synthesis via continuous flow and/or batch reactors. This includes the development of a multiphysics model describing the fluid flow, mixing and heat exchange in continuous flow micro reactors. A further model describing the polymerisation process for polymer synthesis with the use of continuous flow and/or batch reactors is to be developed. You will validate your models with experimental results.
3) Development of a continuum mechanical model for foaming of a thermoplastic polymer, which additionally takes into account the molecular structure of the polymer and its specific viscoelastic behaviour. The goal is to develop a numerical code of foaming based on this model. You will validate your model by comparing numerical and experimental results.
For all three job positions, we expect your active participation in the publication of the results and presentation on international conferences.
*The qualifications essential to fulfill these duties are:*
* Ph.D. in natural or engineering sciences with focus on either computational chemistry, computational physics, materials science and engineering or data/computer science
* experience in programming (e.g. C++, Python) combined with sound knowledge in at least one of these fields:
- molecular modelling (e.g. Materials Studio)
- multiphysics simulation (e.g. COMSOL, OpenFOAM)
- continuum mechanical simulations or similar software
* knowledge of polymer chemistry, physics, materials science and/or membrane technology
* fluent business language in English or German with a working knowledge of the other; international applicants are expected to work continuously on German language skills
* multinational work environment with over 950 colleagues from more than 50 nations
* extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
* flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
* excellent infrastructure including modern work spaces
* remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
*Interested?* Please send your application by e-mail indicating job offer *code-no. 2019/P 6* including a short letter of motivation, CV, copies of relevant certificates by e-mail in one PDF file not larger than 10 MB to *email@example.com*
Closing date: *August 22nd, 2019*
Contact: Erika Krüger
EURAXESS offer ID: 433019
Posting organisation offer ID: 699681
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.