RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/01/2020 20:20 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Jülich
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
JCNS-2 - Quantenmaterialien und kollektive Phänomene
Area of research:
The Jülich Centre for Neutron Science (JCNS) uses neutrons as microscopic probes to conduct research on condensed and biological matter. Therefore, JCNS develops and operates neutron scattering instruments, maintaining outstations at the world’s leading neutron sources. The JCNS in collaboration with the RWTH Aachen offers a PhD position dedicated to the research on low-valent transition-metal oxides. The PhD position is embedded in the Collaborative Research Centre 917 (SFB917) Nanoswitches: Resistively Switching Chalcogenides for Future Electronics – Structure, Kinetics, and Device Scalability which comprises more than 25 groups from the Rheinisch-Westfälisch Technische Hochschule Aachen and the Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH. A strong interaction with a computational group of the RWTH Aachen is planned. The successful candidate will be based at the Jülich Centre for Neutron Science and will receive the PhD from the RWTH Aachen University under the supervision of Dr. Karen Friese.
- Characterization of poly- and single-crystalline vanadium oxides as a function of pressure and temperature
- In-situ high pressure crystal structure determination using x-ray and neutron diffraction
- In-situ property resistivity measurements at high pressures and/or temperatures
- M.Sc.or Diploma in crystallography, chemistry, materials science, physics or a related field
- Knowledge in crystallography. Skills in scattering methods, data analysis, physical property measurements and/or high pressure techniques are welcome
- Experience in scattering techniques is of advantage
- Good oral and written command of the English language
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure – ideal conditions for successfully completing a doctoral degree
- Strong interaction with other researchers within the Research Centre Jülich, the RWTH Aachen and the Collaborative Research Centre
- Chance of participating in (international) conferences and project meetings
- A highly motivated group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment at one of Europe`s largest research establishments
- Continuous, professional support by your scientific supervisor
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. via a comprehensive further training programme
- Pay in line with 75 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) pay higher than the basic pay may be possible
- Usually a contract for the duration of 3 years
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particulary welcomes applications from women.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
EURAXESS offer ID: 432975
Posting organisation offer ID: 2019D-169
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.