RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE24/01/2020 20:20 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Jülich
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
IBG-3 - Agrosphäre
Area of research:
The Institute of Bio- and Geosciences – Agrosphere (IBG-3) conducts research to improve our understanding of hydrological and biogeochemical processes in terrestrial systems. Its research contributes to the sustainable and resource-conserving use of soils and water. The Techno-Economic Energy Systems Analysis (TSA) department within the Institute of Energy and Climate Research – Electrochemical Process Engineering (IEK-3) develops and applies methods for assessing new energy-related concepts and technologies by means of energy system modelling. With a strong focus on relevant transformation pathways aiming at sustainable energy provision, energy systems are designed, simulated and evaluated regarding efficiency, robustness, flexibility as well as economic and environmental compatibility. This position is a collaboration between IBG-3 and IEK-3 where terrestrial simulations runs are used for energy systems analysis.
The PhD-candidate will on the one hand set-up an ensemble of atmospheric model runs with the ICON-model, which is a component model of the Terrestrial Simulation Platform TSMP-PDAF, for the African continent, to simulate the continental water and energy cycles. On the other hand, the PhD-candidate will perform simulations to determine land eligibility and renewable energy potentials with the existing tools of IEK-3. A special interest lies on high-resolution simulations in space and time of meteorological variables like wind speed and solar radiation to be applied in potential analyses of renewable energies. Your tasks in detail:
- Cary out simulations for time periods in the recent past and in the future.
- Develop and apply improved electricity generation models for renewable resources across Africa based on the results of the simulations (involving the application of preexisting land eligibility and placement identification models, as well as the application of wind and photovoltaic simulation tools and their adaptation for high-resolution meteorological data)
- Identify technical and constrained potentials for renewable energy sources across Africa, which can then be used to support future energy system design modelling efforts in this region.
- Undertake atmospheric modelling over the Africa continent and the physics-based modelling of renewable energy sources.
For further information visit our websites: www.fz-juelich.de/ibg/ibg-3/EN/Home/home_node.html and www.fz-juelich.de/iek/iek-3/EN/Forschung/_Process-and-System-Analysis/_node.html
- MSc degree (or equivalent) in simulation sciences, atmospheric sciences or energy physics with a good overall grade (among 30% best students)
- Strong background in either atmospheric sciences or energy physics, and high interest in both research fields
- Experience in mathematical modelling and programming is an advantage
- Knowledge about land surface and subsurface processes and hydrology is desired
- Good communication and organisational skills are essential since the work involves interdisciplinary cooperation between two institutes and international partners,
- Vibrant international and interdisciplinary work environment at one of the largest European research campuses, close to the cities of Cologne, Aachen, and Düsseldorf
- Excellent facilities for numerical simulation and experimental studies, including access to the high-performance scientific computing infrastructure at one of Europe`s leading supercomputing centers
- PhD students are encouraged to attend international conferences and can be selected for a three months research stay abroad
- Specialized courses, summer schools, and seminars by renown experts
- Continuous, professional support by your scientific supervisor
- Pay in line with 50 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund)
- Usually a contract for the duration of 3 years
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particulary welcomes applications from women.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
EURAXESS offer ID: 432592
Posting organisation offer ID: 2019D-168
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.