RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/08/2019 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Funchal
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2019
A call is open for 1 researcher position at the Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) of the University of Madeira (Funchal, Portugal), under the Regional Project M1420-01-0145-FEDER-000002, co-financed by “Madeira 14-20” – MITIExcell, under the following conditions:
Closing date: 21-08-2019
Type of contract: full time
Start date: 01-09-2019 (or any date after this)
Duration: 3 months, eventually renewable
Monthly stipend: 752,38 Euros
Job country: Portugal
Job city: Funchal
Job company/institute: Madeira-Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI)
Workplace: Madeira-Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI)
Main research field: Design -- Biodiversity – Environmental Technology
With the climate change undergoing, there is more need to understand the migration flow of marine species and the exact impact on them by humans. Current biologgers used to understand marine megafauna remain expenssive and obtrusive to use. In addition, challenge remains in obtaining the data from the larger distances, in real-time. This research scholarship will provide and design tag casings for LoRa and IoT based biologgers, applied to whales, monk seals and tortoises.
Main tasks of the researcher will be:
- Study the unobtrusive attachment methods of biologgers using passive methods (e.g. suction cups, origami vacum)
- Exploration of diverse materials for enclosure and waterproofing with neutral buoyancy (e.g. epoxy resin)
- Assist in the design and production of the 3 biologgers for whale, monk seal and turtle
Candidates should meet three or more of the following requirements, skills and competences:
- Completed Bachelor degree in Design
- Excellent spoken and written English skills is mandatory
- Previous experience working with marine oriented topics
- Strong prototyping background
The work will be conducted at Madeira-ITI (Funchal, Portugal), under the supervision of Dr. Marko Radeta.
Legislation and regulations:
The scholarships are directed to applicants under the current conditions established on the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/) and Research Grant Holder Statute.
The scholarship will have a length of 3 months, eventually renewable, with an expected start of September 1st, 2019.
The student will receive a stipend of 752,38 €/month as determined by the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). Accidents insurance is included.
How to apply:
Candidates must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 21-08-2019. The subject of the email should be: MITIEXCELL – RH53.
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (mandatory)
- Portfolio (mandatory)
- Optional list of projects in the area that have already participated will be a plus
The curricular selection process will be based on:
- Curriculum Vitae (30%)
- Design Portfolio (40%)
- Interview (30%) if there are multiple eligible candidates
- Marko Radeta, PhD, M-ITI, UMa
- Nuno Nunes, PhD, IST, M-ITI
- Valentina Nisi, PhD, UMa, M-ITI
Notification of results:
An email message with the result of the recruitment process will be sent to each applicant.
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- MITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
- The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.
EURAXESS offer ID: 430269
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.