ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Tuscia / CNR- IMAA
RESEARCH FIELDAgricultural sciences › AgronomicsAgricultural sciences › Soil scienceEnvironmental science › Earth scienceGeosciences › OtherTechnology › Remote sensing
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE25/08/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Rome
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2019
A fully funder 3-year PhD position jointly supported by the University of Tuscia (DAFNE Department) in Viterbo (Central Italy) and the Italian National Research Council (CNR) Institute of Methodologies for Environmental Analysis (IMAA) in Rome is offered
The goal of the research that will be carried out by the candidate is the use of models for retrieving crop biophysical variables and topsoil properties from optical satellite data: PRISMA (the hyperspectral mission of the Italian Space Agency ASI) and Sentinel-2 (Copernicus) by the:
- inversion of radiative transfer models (e.g., PROSAIL and SCOPE) by applying spectral indices or machine learning regression or LUT-based algorithms to derive crop pigments concentration and bio-physical properties.
- retrieval of topsoil properties (e.g. soil texture and soil organic carbon content) will be explored by multivariate regression and machine learning algorithms.
The work will be carried out within the project ARS01_00405 “Innovative EO technologies for the study of the climate change impacts of on the environment”, moreover international cooperation activities are expected during the PhD.
Master level degree already completed by the submission date and successful completion of the selection procedure carried out by the PhD commission at the University of Tuscia
The interested candidates should get in touch as soon as possible with Dr. Stefano Pignatti (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Prof. Raffaele Casa (email@example.com), by sending a CV and the names of 2 reference persons, in order to arrange a informal Skype call, during which further details of the application process will be given.
The application should be subsequently finalized (by the end of August) by submission of documents according to the Call for PhD applications published by the University of Tuscia (as it will be explained during the Skype call)
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentTechnology: Master Degree or equivalentGeosciences: Master Degree or equivalentEnvironmental science: Master Degree or equivalentAgricultural sciences: Master Degree or equivalentComputer science: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Master level degree in Engineering (informatics, telecommunications, etc.), Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Statistics, Geosciences, Agricultural Sciences or similar
- Master thesis work (or previous experience) on remote sensing data
- Good coding skills in Matlab or Python and/or IDL
- Good Knowledge of R
- Expertise in the use and processing of satellite remote sensing data. Experience in PROSAIL, ML and PLSR techniques will be preferred
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of Italian or willingness to learn
- Adaptation capability, flexibility, willingness to travel
EURAXESS offer ID: 429932
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.