ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Gdansk
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › Quantum mechanicsTechnology › Quantum technology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/09/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Gdansk
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2019
We are looking for the Post-doctoral Researcher to work in the newly created International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies (ICTQT), funded by the Foundation for Polish Science, and hosted by the University of Gdansk. The founders of ICTQT are Marek Zukowski as the director, and Pawel Horodecki as a co- applicant. The Centre’s official foreign partner is IQOQI-Vienna of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Gdansk is the pioneering and leading center of quantum information research in Poland. Gdansk, and the whole Tri-City, is one of the most beautifully located urban areas in Poland, with sandy sea beaches, lakes, and woods within in it and in the nearby area. It is the birthplace of Polish jazz and rock festivals, and vibrant in many fields.
Currently, the Centre consists of 6 groups: Multiphoton Quantum Optics for Quantum Information (leader Marek Zukowski); New Quantum Resources I (leader Paweł Horodecki); New Quantum Resources II (leader Michał Horodecki); Quantum Cybersecurity and Communication (leader Marcin Pawłowski); Foundational Underpinnings of Quantum Technologies (leader Ana Belen Sainz); Quantum Open Systems (leader Łukasz Rudnicki).
About the research group
The group’s research program would be tailored at understanding and harnessing nonclassical phenomena from a novel scope, which combines an operational vision with a process-theoretic approach.
The specific goals of the group include:
- Formulating candidate theories that supersede quantum.
- Studying causality within and beyond quantum theory.
- Characterizing the quantum manifestation of nonclassical phenomena.
- Developing resource theories to address quantification.
- Identifying current and new forms of nonclassicality as resources for quantum technologies.
The goal of the post-doctoral researcher will be to tackle foundational and applied problems in quantum theory from a process-theoretical scope.
Keywords: process theories, resource theories, Bell nonlocality, contextuality, steering, causality, quantum computation.
The positions of Post-doctoral Researchers offered by the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies of the University of Gdansk are within implementation of the project “International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies”. The project is financed by the Foundation for Polish Science from the funds of the Smart Growth Operational Programme, axis IV: Increasing the research potential (Measure 4.3) under the International Research Agendas Programme.
Key responsibilities include
- Active scientific research.
- Presentation of project results to internal and external parties.
- Active procurement of new research grants from external sources.
- Participation in mentoring of PhD and Master students.
- Participation in the organizational activity of ICTQT.
- Active involvement in seminars, group meetings, etc.
- employment in a rapidly developing unit, the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies at the University of Gdansk,Poland;
- full-time employment from November,1 2019 till October, 31 2022 (36 months). The start date of employment is negotiable; the employment period may be extended up to 31/08/2023 upon a positive evaluation;
- gross monthly salary up to PLN 12 500, depending on candidate’s qualifications (based on research resume and publication record);
- scientific and organizational support;
- basic equipment and core facilities;
- friendly, inspiring, interdisciplinary environment, including “entanglement” with National Centre for Quantum Information (KCIK) and Institute for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics (IFTiA) at UG.
General rules of the recruitment process
1. Candidates may run simultaneously for other postdoctoral positions offered by other groups.
2. The final choice of the research group may be made in the course of negotiations between the leaders and the candidates.
3. A postdoctoral position is offered to candidates who received PhD degree obtained in 2015 or later.
4. An interview is expected (September/ October 2019).
5. ICTQT Selecting Commission (SC) reserves the right to invite for the interview only pre-selected candidates.
6. SC’s decision is final and is not subject to appeal.
7. SC reserves the right to close the competition without selecting a candidate.
8. The decision will be made by SC within 3 months from the date of recruitment completion.
1. Filled-in recruitment form;
2. Curriculum vitae;
3. A research resume with a list of publications, and a list of research projects (esp. those in which the candidate was the principal investigator); PDF files of three most important papers by the candidate (or just web links, in the case of open access publications); a list of invited talks at conferences and workshops, and a list of academic prizes and awards;
4. Motivation letter (including statement of current scientific interests)– up to 2 pages;
5. Documents confirming scientific degrees (copy of PhD diploma, or equivalent);
6. Name and contact details (e-mail addresses) to two senior researchers who may provide reference for the candidate (the candidate is expected to contact the referees and ask them to send reference letters directly to email@example.com. The letters must be sent before the deadline.). ICTQT may also contact the referees directly, to request the letters, or to send reminders.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- PhD degree in physics, mathematics or computer science (PhD degree obtained in 2015 or later).
- Interest in topics such as: mathematical and conceptual foundations of quantum mechanics, quantum computation and quantum information.
- Some experience in numerical calculation/ optimization is welcome.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
EURAXESS offer ID: 427662
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.