ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversitat Pompeu Fabra
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/08/2019 14:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER123456
Study of cellular and molecular proteostatic mechanisms controlling stem cell aging
Dr Pura Muñoz-Cánoves, principal Investigator of the Cell Biology Group at the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) welcomes postdoctoral candidates interested in applying for a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships (MSCA-IF).
The UPF is highly international and research-intensive university that figures in some of the most influential rankings (www.upf.edu). For example, UPF is one of the twenty European universities with the most projects funded by the European Research Council (ERC, 2018) and the most productive university in Spain (Times Higher Education ranking, 2019). The UPF has received numerous MSCA fellows and has well-established programs for the development of professional careers for MSCA fellows.
The Cell Biology laboratory is also part of the PRBB (Parc de Recerca Biomèdica de Barcelona, http://www.prbb.org/), one of the top research centers in the Southern Europe with a highly international atmosphere.
Our team is working coordinately at two locations: the National Cardiovascular Research Center (CNIC), in Madrid, and the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences of the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) at the PRBB, in Barcelona.
We study the mechanisms underlying the loss of stem cell regenerative decline with aging, and in particular the failure in proteostasis and entry into senescence of aging stem cells, as well as potential mechanisms to reverse these aging-associated defects. For this purpose we combine molecular biology, transcriptomics, epigenetics and bioinformatics, mouse genetics and tissue injury-regeneration, as well as proteostasis and senescence approaches, to define the intricate regulatory circuitry of stem cell aging, and potential rejuvenating strategies
We seek and encourage to apply to highly motivated scientist with a strong interest in stem cells and aging, with skills in either of the following areas: mouse genetics, stem cells, proteostasis (autophagy, proteasome), metabolism, but more importantly with scientific ambition, strong analytical skills, and a problem-solving and result-oriented attitude.
More information of the laboratory and current projects can be found on the website:
Recent publications from the lab
- Proteostatic and Metabolic Control of Stemness. García-Prat L, Sousa-Victor P, Muñoz-Cánoves P. Cell Stem Cell 20:593-608, 2017
- Solanas G, Peixoto FO, Perdiguero E, Jardí M, Ruiz-Bonilla V, Datta D, Symeonidi A, Castellanos A, Welz PS, Caballero JM, Sassone-Corsi P, Muñoz-Cánoves P*, Benitah SA*. Aged Stem Cells Reprogram Their Daily Rhythmic Functions to Adapt to Stress. Cell 170:678-692, 2017
- Autophagy maintains stemness by preventing senescence. García-Prat L, Martínez-Vicente M, Perdiguero E, Ortet L, Rodríguez-Ubreva J, Rebollo E, Ruiz-Bonilla V, Gutarra S, Ballestar E, Serrano AL, Sandri M, Muñoz-Cánoves P. Nature 529:37-42, 2016
- Geriatric muscle stem cells switch reversible quiescence into senescence. Sousa-Victor P, Gutarra S, García-Prat L, Rodriguez-Ubreva J, Ortet L, Ruiz-Bonilla V, Jardí M, Ballestar E, González S, Serrano AL, Perdiguero E, Muñoz-Cánoves P. Nature 506:316-21, 2014
The candidates will benefit from working in a dynamic group, at a university department that received the Maria de Maetzu Award for its scientific excellence. We are located within the PRBB in Barcelona, a vibrant research park harboring several research institutions and cutting-edge core facilities.
Open to researchers of any nationality to acquire and transfer new knowledge.
At the deadline for the submission of the proposals (11/09/2019), researchers:
- Shall be in possession of a doctoral degree or 4 years of full-time equivalent experience;
- Must not have resided or carried out their main activities in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the above mentioned deadline.
For a full description of the eligibility criteria see the documentation in the webpage call before sending your application.
Applicants should check that they fulfil all the eligibility criteria and then send an expression of interest consisting of:
- CV (same template as in the call)
- Motivation letter (1 page)
- Summary presentation of the research proposal (c. 2 pages)
- Contact information of at least 1 referee
Expressions of interest must be submitted no later than August 15 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The title of the e-mail must be "MSCA application – Dr. Pura Muñoz – your name and surname"
Proposals will be preselected on the basis of internal evaluation.
Please note that the Marie Curie grants are very competitive, and application requires significant work for preparation.
EURAXESS offer ID: 426378
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.