ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Innsbruck
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Botany
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/07/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONAustria › Innsbruck
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
- for 6 years, possibility of a qualification agreement
The jobholder will carry out high level research and specialise in a particular research field, teach independently, supervise students and carry out administrative tasks. During the first year of employment it is possible to conclude a "qualification agreement", which is equivalent to tenure track. If the terms of the qualification agreement are delivered, the jobholder will be promoted to Associate Professor with permanent employment.
- Research: Project-directed work in collaboration with the international scientific community, supported by independently acquired external funding aimed at high impact publishing; the jobholder is expected to write a postdoctoral thesis ("Habilitation"), focussing on the evolution of alpine plant populations, and to support long-term ecological research (LTER) projects
- Teaching: Teaching according to the curricula of the Faculty of Biology (Bachelor's Programme "Biology" and Master's Programme "Botany") and supervision of BSc and MSc research projects
- Administration: Contributing to administrative tasks at the Department and Faculty level
- PhD in Biology or converging sciences
- Scientific achievements beyond the PhD thesis
- Previous postdoc position or equivalent professional experience
- Experience with evolutionary research (genomics, molecular genetics, species distribution modelling) is essential; knowledge of experimental approaches (e.g., reciprocal transplantation experiments) is desirable
- Independent evolutionary research, ideally using alpine populations
- Excellent knowledge of the flora and vegetation of the Alps or comparable European mountain ranges
- Publications in international, peer-reviewed journals
- Mobility experience
- International scientific collaborations
- Physical aptitude to work in high alpine terrain and to lead excursions in alpine regions
- Experience with third party-funded research projects
- Experience with teaching and (co-)supervision of BSc and MSc students is desirable
- Experience in a non-university environment (for example, in conservation) is desirable
- Proficiency to teach courses in German within two years
- Excellent team and communication skills
- Resilience and flexibility
- High problem-solving competence
- The application must include a research concept and a teaching concept
We are looking forward to receiving your online application.
The full, legally binding call for application (in German) including the salary be found here:
The University of Innsbruck is committed to raising the quota of female employees and therefore explicitly welcomes applications from qualified women. This applies in particular to scientific positions. In the case of female underrepresentation women with equal qualifications will be given priority.
In accordance with Austrian disability laws qualified people with special requirements are expressly encouraged to apply for jobs. For more information please contact the disabled confidant Dr. Adolf Sandbichler.
What the University of Innsbruck offers:
From a company pension scheme, to flexible working hours and child care facilities the University of Innsbruck offers its employees a wide range of benefits which is being continuously extended.
Along with interesting oppurtunities for the participation in job-related and personal further education courses, and the succesful compatibility of career and family, employees can benefit from a large range of courses offered by the University Sports Institute (USI), the language courses offered by the ISI, the University Library and take advantage of the various canteens offering reasonably priced food.
A summary of the benefits for University employees can be found here: http://www.uibk.ac.at/universitaet/zusatzleistungen/
The University of Innsbruck as employer
Are you looking for a new challenge? The University of Innsbruck is a place of study, research and employment for more than 31.000 people. As one of the largest employers in Tyrol the University offers a varied and exciting field of activity for its employees from very diverse educational and professional backgrounds. The University explicitly welcomes diversity and is committed to the principle of equal opportunity. It is a certified family-friendly workplace and received the award 'Top workplace 2018' from the Austrian business magazine 'trend'.
At the University of Innsbruck researchers from all over the world come together. Depending on the individual scientific community the language used may be German, English or another (if unanimously decided).
Internal communication is in German. Therefore a basic knowledge of German or the willingness to acquire such knowledge is essential.
EURAXESS offer ID: 425672
Posting organisation offer ID: BIO-10640
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.