ORGANISATION/COMPANYVrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE23/07/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Amsterdam
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40.0
The role of the PhD researcher is to conduct innovative research on the characterisation of human settlements and their changes over time. The successful candidate will employ different (quantitative) approaches to address this topic, including spatial analysis, time-series analysis, and systematic reviews to develop new insights into the development of settlements, and explain how, where, and under what conditions these developments take place. In these analyses, this project will also analyse the relation between human settlements and other land uses, linking their development to ongoing processes such as rural-urban migration, agricultural transition and scale-enlargement, and agricultural land abandonment. The project will take a multi-scale approach, combining findings at the global scale with in-depth investigations at the local scale. For the local scale analysis, fieldwork is foreseen in both developing and developed countries.
- quantitative analysis of (time-series of) settlement changes and their underlying drivers
- primary data collection in one or more case-study regions / countries
- systematic review on driving forces of settlement changes at a global scale
- publication of findings in international (peer-reviewed) journals and scientific conferences
- support teaching activities at BSc and MSc level
A challenging position in a socially involved organisation. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,325 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €2,972 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 1 years. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a duration of in total 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 22 July 2019.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Jasper van Vliet
Web site for additional job details
- master degree in geography or other relevant discipline
- strong skills in quantitative data analysis
- hands-on experience with GIS and spatial analysis
- motivated to conduct scientific research on land use and human settlements
- ability to work in an interdisciplinary team and contribute to activities of the larger research group
EURAXESS offer ID: 424329
Posting organisation offer ID: 284295
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.