RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/07/2019 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Funchal
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK20
OFFER STARTING DATE01/08/2019
A call is open for 2 (two) research intern at the Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) of the University of Madeira (Funchal, Portugal), under the Regional Project M1420-01-0145-FEDER-000002, co-financed by “Madeira 14-20” – MITIExcell, under the following conditions:
Closing date: 26-07-2019
Type of contract: full-time
Start date: 01-08-2019 (or any date after this)
Duration: 3 months, not renewable.
Monthly stipend: 388,81 Euros
Job Country: Portugal
Job City: Funchal
Job Company / Institute: Interactive Technologies Institute (ITI/LARSYS)
Workplace: Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI)
Main research field: Computer Science - Energy Management - Data Science - Sustainable Development - Smart Energy Systems
This research grant targets highly motivated students interested in gaining research experience.
BIC1: Map My Drive: A Crowdsourcing Platform to Reconstruct Daily Driving Routines
In this project, the selected researcher will work in the development of an interactive crowdsourcing platform to collect daily driving routines. The main tasks of the researcher include:
- Design and develop a web-app to collect driving routines routines
- Conduct a pilot deployment and evaluation of the web-app
BIC2: Value Proposition of Disaggregated Electricity Consumption Data
In this project, the selected researcher will work on assessing the value proposition of individual appliance consumption data from the perspective of energy consumers and prosumers. The main tasks of the researcher will be:
- Participate in a randomized control trial in Madeira Island, to study the value proposition of individual appliance consumption data, through qualitative assessments. E.g., understand the benefits of disaggregated information to the end user, through mixed research methods (i.e., qualitative and quantitative research)
The work will be conducted at ITI/LARSYS (Funchal, Portugal), under the supervision of Prof. Lucas Pereira.
Legislation and regulations:
The scholarships are directed to applicants under the current conditions established on the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/) and Research Grant Holder Statute.
The scholarship will have a length of 3 months, with an expected start of August 1st, 2019.
The student will receive a stipend of 388,81€/month as determined by the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). Accidents insurance is included.
Candidates should have the following requirements, skills, and competencies:
- Be a computer science or informatics engineering student [BIC1]
- Good programming skills (e.g., Java, Python, Matlab) [BIC1]
- Be a student of an energy-related BSc or MSc program [BIC2]
- Experience in the energy domain, in particular, energy disaggregation [BIC2]
- Knowledge of data science methods is a big plus [BIC1-2]
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 26-07-2019. The subject of the email should be MITIExcell-RH50-BICy-z (where y-z identifies the BIC. For example, BIC1-2 to apply for BICs 1 and 2; BIC1 to apply to BIC 1 only).
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (mandatory)
- Motivation letter (mandatory)
- Optional recommendation letters can contribute positively to the candidate evaluation (facultative)
The curricular selection process will be based on:
- Motivation letter (20%)
- Curriculum Vitae (30%)
- Previous experience (20%)
- Interview (30%) if there are multiple eligible candidates
- Prof Lucas Pereira
- Prof Nuno Jardim Nunes
- Prof Fernando Morgado-Dias
Notification of results:
An email message with the result of the recruitment process will be sent to each applicant.
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- MITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
- The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.
EURAXESS offer ID: 423745
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.