RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/07/2019 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Funchal
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK20
OFFER STARTING DATE01/08/2019
A call is open for 2 (two) research intern at the Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) of the University of Madeira (Funchal, Portugal), under the Regional Project M1420-01-0145-FEDER-000002, co-financed by “Madeira 14-20” – MITIExcell, under the following conditions:
Closing date: 26-07-2019
Type of contract: full-time
Start date: 01-08-2019 (or any date after this)
Duration: 3 months, eventually renewable for another 3 months.
Monthly stipend: 388,81 Euros
Job Country: Portugal
Job City: Funchal
Job Company / Institute: Interactive Technologies Institute (TI)
Workplace: Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI)
Main research field: Computer Science - Energy Management - Data Science - Sustainable Development - Smart Energy Systems
This research grant targets highly motivated students interested in gaining research experience.
BIC1: EMD-DF - Energy Monitoring and Disaggregation Data Format
In this project, the selected researcher will work in the extension of the EMD-DF data model . This is a 64-bit format that was developed as a novel way to represent, store and manipulate time-series datasets, and is an extension of the 32-bits SURF file format . The main tasks of the researcher include:
- Study the possibility of using lossless data compression to reduce the file size.
- Study the possibility of creating a streaming service for datasets in this format.
 Lucas Pereira. 2017. EMD-DF: A Data Model and File Format for Energy Disaggregation Datasets, in ACM BuildSys 2017
 Lucas Pereira, Nuno Nunes, Mario Bérges. 2014. SURF and SURF-PI: A File Format and API for Non-intrusive Load Monitoring Public Datasets, in ACM E-Energy 2014
BIC2: dsCleaner - A Python Library to Clean, Pre-process and Convert Time Series Datasets
In this project, the selected researcher will work on extending the dsCleaner library . The main tasks of the researcher will be:
- Integrate with the EMD-DF data model
- Use the developed extension to convert existing datasets to a unified format, in this case, the EMD-DF.
- Incorporate additional datasets parsers from NILM and other machine learning domains.
- Study the possibility of supporting: 1) missing data, 2) samples rates below 1Hz, 3) multiple sample rates
 Lucas Pereira, Manuel Pereira, and Nuno Velosa. 2019. DSCleaner: A Python Library to Clean, Pre-process and Convert Time Series Datasets. https://doi.org/10.17605/OSF.IO/VRAQZ
The work will be conducted at ITI/LARSYS (Funchal, Portugal), under the supervision of Prof. Lucas Pereira.
Legislation and regulations:
The scholarships are directed to applicants under the current conditions established on the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/) and Research Grant Holder Statute.
The scholarship will have a length of 3 months, with an expected start of August 1st, 2019, eventually renewable for another 3 months.
The student will receive a stipend of 388,81€/month as determined by the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). Accidents insurance is included.
Candidates should have the following requirements, skills, and competencies:
- Be a computer science or informatics engineering student
- Good programming skills (e.g., Java, Python, Matlab)
- Knowledge of data science methods is a big plus
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 26-07-2019. The subject of the email should be MITIExcell-RH49-BICy-z (where y-z identifies the BIC. For example, BIC1-2 to apply for BICs 1 and 2; BIC1 to apply to BIC 1 only).
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (mandatory)
- Motivation letter (mandatory)
- Optional recommendation letters can contribute positively to the candidate evaluation (facultative)
The curricular selection process will be based on:
- Motivation letter (20%)
- Curriculum Vitae (30%)
- Previous experience (20%)
- Interview (30%) if there are multiple eligible candidates
- Prof Lucas Pereira
- Prof Nuno Jardim Nunes
- Prof Fernando Morgado-Dias
Notification of results:
An email message with the result of the recruitment process will be sent to each applicant.
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- MITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
- The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.
EURAXESS offer ID: 423743
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.