ORGANISATION/COMPANYConsiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesChemistryPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE20/09/2019 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONMultiple locations, see work locations below.
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER812661
ENDONANO (Quantitative detection of bacterial endotoxin by novel nanotechnological approaches) is a European Industrial Doctorates (EID). The ENDONANO network aims at delivering industry-oriented PhD training of early stage researcher (ESRs) in the area of safety regulations for drugs and medical devices, i.e., at developing new concepts and methods for the unbiased and quantitative evaluation of bacterial endotoxin (LPS) in complex matrices. ENDONANO will train 4 PhD students in an overarching training programme that will include training-by-research, courses of technical, scientific, and transferrable skills, active participation to public scientific events, and intense intersectoral networking (secondments). The ENDONANO consortium encompasses three academic institutions, two SMEs and a biotech company. All have proven experience in higher education and training, and are endowed with state-of-the-art scientific and technical expertise and infrastructures.
The research activities implemented in ENDONANO have the following objectives:
- interaction of LPS with biological entities/molecules (cells, receptors, binding peptides, etc.);
- interaction of LPS with particulate matter, more specifically gold, silver and iron oxide nanoparticles (Au, Ag and Fe with different characteristics of chemical stability and optical response);
- NP functionalisation for optimal LPS capture/scavenging in different media (biological fluids, emulsions, gels, etc.) (which will be at the basis of the colorimetric and plasmonic detection of the LPS presence);
- synthesis of detection probes based on fluorescence total internal reflection (molecular beacons) for optimal detection and quantitative signalling of LPS presence;
- set up of a range of prototypes of quantitative LPS detection assays;
- pre-commercial kit prototype design and validation in different settings.
The 4 selected ESRs will be employed 18 months in a company, and 18 months in academia and will be enrolled in the PhD programme in Medical Biology of the beneficiary’s organization PLUS (PARIS LODRON UNIVERSITY OF SALZBURG). They will participate in the network’s training activities and work placements at the laboratories of the participating academic and industrial partners. In addition, the training programme of the recruited ESRs will be implemented with regular meetings and workshops within the ENDONANO network.
The 4 ESRs’ projects are the following:
ESR1: Human monocytes and macrophages as detectors of bacterial endotoxins.
ESR1 will be employed by CNR (National Research Council - Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology-IBBC, Napoli, Italy; Dr. Paola Italiani) for the first 18 months and then by DIAG (Diagnosticum-DIAG, Hungary; Dr. József Prechl) for the final 18 months.
ESR2: Designing LPS binding molecules
ESR2 will be employed by PLUS (Paris-Lodron University of Salzburg, Austria; Dr. Jutta Horejs-Höck) for the first 18 months and then by Miltenyi (Milteyi, Germany; Dr. Christiane Siewert) for the final 18 months.
ESR3: Innovative fluorescence and optomagnetic assay for LPS detection
ESR3 will be employed by CNR (National Research Council - The Institute of Food Sciences, Avellino, ITALY; Dr. Sabato D’Auria) for the first 18 months and then by BSD (Blusense-BSD, Denmark; Dr. Marco Donolato) for the final 18 months.
ESR4: Binding of endotoxin by metal NP in different media
ESR4 will be employed by ICN2 (Institut Català de Nanociènca i Nanotecnologia, Spain; Dr. Victor Puntes) for the first 18 months and then by Miltenyi (Milteyi, Germany; Dr. Dr. Jonathan Fauerbach) for the final 18 months.
For more information and details on the projects’ scientific description, please visit www.endonano.eu
The ESR will be contractually employed for 18 months by an academic institution and for 18 months by a company, and will be covered under the social security scheme of the enrolling country. He or she will monthly receive a Living Allowance, a Mobility Allowance and a Family Allowance (if applicable) compliant with the applicable EC Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions-ITN general conditions (see https://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/wp/2018-2020/main/h2020-wp1820-msca_en.pdf page 80).
Experience eligibility requirement: Eligible applicants must be in the first 4 years of their research careers (full-time equivalent research experience) at the signature of the contract (measured from the time the Master’s degree has been obtained).
Eligible applicants must not hold a Doctoral Degree yet.
Mobility eligibility requirement: The fellow must not have resided in the country where the research training activities will take place for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date and not have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in that country.
Exceptions International Organisations: Eligible researchers must not have spent more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the date of selection in the same appointing international organisation.
The applicant must send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org within August 30th 2019:
1) an updated CV without gaps, in order to easily check the mobility and experience requirements. CVs that either do not clearly show the applicant’s past experience, or have gaps, will be considered ineligible;
2) a letter giving reason for his/her motivation for the position including preference for two individual projects;
3) at least 1 reference letter (in English) from one former supervisor and/or lecturer;
4) the scan of the degree (usually the Master Degree) which would formally entitle him/her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher will be recruited. In case the degree has not been obtained yet, it is necessary to send a declaration of the university stating that the degree will be obtained before the expected starting date;
5) transcripts of records (document indicating their ranking and marks within their Master Degree as well as the courses/modules they have followed).
For each position a short list will be prepared and notified to the applicants.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalentChemistry: Master Degree or equivalentPhysics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
Applicants shall have a master degree or equivalent in Life or Natural Sciences (e.g. Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology), Physics and Chemistry or related fields
Foreign language: the candidate shall be fluent in written and spoken English.
ENDONANO supports equal opportunity and encourages female researchers to apply for positions.
In case of equal qualification, candidates with background in Immunology, Chemistry and/or Physics will be preferred.
Applications must be in English and will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Educational record;
- scientific quality of the applicant’s CV;
- expected individual impact and benefit to the fellow and to the project;
- previous experience in the subject of ENDONANO research programme.
The candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the received documents and the best 5 candidates for each position will be invited for a Skype interview that will take place in the period between September and October 2019.
EURAXESS offer ID: 423406
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.