ORGANISATION/COMPANYJena School for Microbial Communication (JSMC)
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › BiologyChemistry › Biochemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE05/08/2019 00:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONGermany › Jena
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2019
REFERENCE NUMBERMicroverse PostDoc 11/2019:
The Cluster of Excellence “Balance of the Microverse” of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Germany, combines expertise in life, material, optical and computational sciences to elevate microbiome studies from descriptive to hypothesis-driven and functional analyses. Our core mission is to elucidate fundamental principles of the interactions and functions in microbial communities in diverse habitats ranging from oceans and ground water to plant and human hosts. We aim to identify the shared characteristics of disturbed or polluted ecosystems as well as infectious diseases on the microbiome level, and develop strategies for their remediation by targeted interventions. Our full spectrum of expertise in the physical and life sciences will be leveraged to address these important issues in natural habitats as well as synthetic arenas in a collaborative manner. The affiliated early career program of the Jena School for Microbial Communication (JSMC) offers an ambitious, structured and interdisciplinary post-graduate training based on top-level fundamental research.
The Cluster of Excellence Balance of the Microverse invites applications for a
Postdoctoral Researcher Position (Ref. No. 11/2019)
to conduct research in the group of Prof. Miriam Agler-Rosenbaum on the project
Droplet cultivation and characterization of defined natural microbial consortia from different environmental and host habitats
- a PhD (or equivalent) in natural sciences (Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or closely related fields). Candidates in the final stages of obtaining their doctorate are eligible to apply
- desirable methodological skills: excellent background in microbiology and microbial biochemistry, hands-on knowledge of analytical methods. Experience in microbial cultivations of diverse cultures, molecular biology, bioinformatics and/or microfluidic technology are advantageous but not required
- highly motivated individuals with an interest in joining one of the interdisciplinary research areas of the Microverse Cluster
- the abililty to work creatively and independently towards developing your own research project
- an integrative and cooperative personality with enthusiasm for actively participating in the dynamic Microverse community
- excellent English communication skills, both written and spoken
- a highly communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top-level research facilities
- a comprehensive mentoring program and soft skill courses for early career researchers
- Jena – City of Science: a young and lively town with dynamic business activities, innovative scientific centers within the Friedrich Schiller University, numerous non-university research institutions and a vibrant local cultural agenda
The two year full-time postdoctoral researcher position (100% TV-L E13) will be funded through the Excellence Strategy of the German federal and state governments. The Friedrich Schiller University Jena is an equal opportunity employer. Disabled persons with comparable qualifications will receive preferential status.
Applications are exclusively accepted via the JSMC Online Application Portal:
Please familiarize yourself with the currently available postdoctoral projects (www.microverse-cluster.de) and the application process as described in the Online Application Portal. Selected applicants will be invited to a recruitment meeting in Jena end of August/mid-September 2019. Awarding decisions will be announced shortly thereafter, and candidates are expected to be available to start their projects in 2019.
Application deadline: 5th August 2019
EURAXESS offer ID: 423319
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.