ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversitat Pompeu Fabra - ETIC
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Biomedical engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/09/2019 12:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
BCN-MedTech (UPF) is offering ten positions (eight for incoming modality, one for outgoing and one with both possible modalities) for experienced postdoctoral researchers or researchers with industrial experience conditioned to a TECNIOSpring position. The vacant positions are directly related to our current projects on their tech-transfer stage with the final objective to provide innovative solutions in health:
(1) Ref: Incoming-Miwendo: During the last few years, we have developed a microwave-based endoscopy accessory (MiWendo) in collaboration with clinical and engineering partners, which allows detecting malignant polyps in the colon. The potential of Miwendo has been demonstrated in several scientific papers and has led to the creation of a spin-off to bring it through the several clinical validation stages and its commercialization. This project aims to better integrate the hardware developments with image reconstruction, processing and integration steps, exploring new functionalities of the device (e.g. localization and tissue characterization). The potential candidate is expected to have a PhD in biomedical science, engineering or related fields. Experience on microwave imaging will be highly valued.
(2) Ref: Incoming-Pacing: The personalization of pacing therapies for the heart such as Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy is becoming increasingly important due to the wide variety of possibilities in device settings and the different response success ratio depending on patient's phenotype. Researchers from the Barcelona Supercomputing Centre (BSC) and BCN-MedTech have long-standing experience on the development of cardiac models that could help on finding the optimal pacing configuration to a given patient. This project aims at further developing the Alya solver, developed at BSC for the optimization of pacing-related therapies. The potential candidate is expected to have a PhD in biomedical science, engineering or related fields. Experience on cardiac modelling will be highly valued.
(3) Ref: Incoming-4dflowMRI: 4D-flow magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a relatively new imaging modality that provides unprecedented information to evaluate haemodynamics in cardiovascular structures, which can be very relevant for critical diseases. BCN-MedTech researchers are already exploring these images in combination with computational fluid dynamics for a better understanding of left atrial diseases. This project aims at exploring the use of 4D-flow MRI and other advanced MRI sequences, in collaboration with researchers from General Electric Medical Systems and clinical partners, in ventricular and atrial-related diseases. The potential candidate is expected to have a PhD in biomedical science, engineering or related fields. Experience on 4D-flow MRI processing will be highly valued.
(4) Ref: Incoming-Fetal. Many foetal surgeries, such as in the case of Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome (TTTS), are routinely performed through endoscopic vision. It is well known that endoscopy poses serious difficulties for the surgeon, because it offers a very limited field of vision, low dexterity and no access to anatomical references. The project aims to integrate multimodal medical imaging techniques to improve our current prototype for surgical navigation for fetal intervention. The candidate is expected to have a PhD in biomedical science, engineering or related fields. The potential candidate should have excellent scientific – technical background in medical imaging analysis. Experience in surgical navigation and computational science will be highly valued.
(5) Ref: Incoming-NeedleSafe. The new developed technology, NeedleSafe, prevents infections caused by biopsy procedures, providing a high antibacterial effect to the biopsy needle. This project is currently exploring its extensions to other application fields with a strong focus on transferring this technology to the clinical routine. The candidate is expected to have recognized expertise in clinical studies and validation and an excellent scientific background on biomedical research. Candidates should hold a PhD degree in biomedical science, clinical science or related fields. Experience in technology transfer and innovation will be a plus.
(6) Ref: Incoming-Metamodeling: Short-term prediction of osteoporosis fracture risk is a challenge to optimise prevention and drug treatment strategies. We have shown that finite element simulations of the femur biomechanical response to lateral falls dramatically improves the posthoc discrimination of proximal femur fracture in osteoporotic patients. While specific biomechanical descriptors have been identified as potential fracture predictors, the present project aims to validate the fracture risk prediction through the use of new cohort data. On the other hand, patient-specific metamodels will be created for the real-time calculation of these descriptors, to allow transferring the results into exploitable clinical tools. The potential candidate should hold a PhD in computational biomechanics or related fields. Knowledge in machine learning is required.
(7) Ref: Incoming-Spine: The prediction of lumbar vertebral fracture based on routine X-Ray Dual Absorptiometry (DXA) is far from achieved in osteoporotic patients. Recently, statistical shape models codeveloped at BCN MedTech with the company Galgo Medical have allowed extrapolating the planar DXA information in 3D, providing precise analyses of the vertebral location where the risk of fracture is likely to be the highest. This project aims to extend this work to quantitative biomechanical calculations of the stress and strain levels within these areas. Finite element modelling and mesh morphing technologies will be used for patient-specific modelling and soft tissue representation, according to existing templates. Candidates should hold a PhD in computational biomechanics or related fields. Knowledge in machine learning and/or image registration is welcome.
(8) Ref: Incoming-Cochlear: CIPlanner is the result of unique scientific and technological developments carried out during these last years, leading to a pre-surgical software to estimate the outcomes of cochlear implant intervention coupling computational tools for image analysis, shape modelling, finite element simulation and models of neural activation. The aim of this project is to further develop and validate CIPlanner, using a new patient data base and including new complex features adapted to the surgeon’s needs and the implant design. The candidate is expected to have a PhD in biomedical science, engineering or related fields. The candidate is expected to have excellent scientific – technical background in computational modelling and computer science. Experience in clinical validation, surgical planning and implantable devices will be positively valued.
(9) Ref: Both-Meshless: In a joint collaboration between researchers at Philips Medisys (Paris, France) and BCN-MedTech, we have recently developed a fully coupled electromechanical meshless model of the heart. It represents an interesting alternative to classical finite-element method models to assimilate clinical data such as echocardiography images without requiring the tedious and manual process of mesh generation. Therefore, the developed model has a lot of potential for being used in a clinical environment following the concept of Digital Twins and support personalized medicine in clinical decisions such as diagnosis, treatment planning and response prediction. This project aims to further develop the current version of the model and adapt it to relevant clinical questions and available medical data, in conjuntion with clinicians and industry. The potential candidate is expected to have a PhD in biomedical science, engineering or related fields. Experience on cardiac modelling will be highly valued.
(10) Ref: Outgoing MedIm. We also offer one vacant position together with a highly innovation-driven company in UK (Oxford) with an outstanding trajectory in the medical technology field. During both years the candidate will have regular meetings with both work-teams, in Oxford and Barcelona. We seek for an expert on medical imaging, preferable on MRI, with academic background in biomedical science or equivalent experience. The candidate is expected to have relevant experience on statistical and research methods, and recognized expertise in clinical studies and/or healthcare industry. Experience in clinical or biomedical research studies to evaluate new technology/interventions will be a plus. The candidates will work in highly international and interdisciplinary environment. They will form part of innovative projects and research teams focused on translational research. We are looking for: • Researcher with postdoctoral or industrial experience. • Appropriate technical competence in the described fields. • Good organization and interpersonal skills. • Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. • Proactive and highly motivated. • Good communication, organization and interpersonal skills. • Ability to work well as part of a multidisciplinary team as well as independently. • Spanish or Catalan will be a plus.
If you are interested in forming part of our team, contact us to learn more about these opportunities!
Host institution: BCN-MedTech is located in the UPF’s Communication Campus, in the 22@ district of Barcelona. The 22@ district, also known as the innovation district, is the largest urban, economic and social transformation project promoted by Barcelona in recent years. It currently stands for a unique pole of attraction and integration for business, scientific, technological and cultural activity. UPF is the 1st Spanish university in the world Top 200 (THE18), also ranked 1st in Europe (U-Multirank 2018) and 1st in Spain in teaching and research performance (U-Ranking, BBVA Foundation & Ivie, 2018). In H2020, the UPF has received 31 MSCA (including 7 ITNs), 23 ERCs and 38 collaborative projects. DTIC is leading 2 H2020 MSCA-EID and participates as a beneficiary in one MSCA- EJD and 5 MSCA-ETNs. It has been awarded one FET flagship and participates in three others. It is the only Spanish ICT department that has been awarded the “Maria de Maeztu” excellence award by the Spanish government for the quality and relevance of its pioneering scientific research, and as the top IT research concentration in Spain.
BCN MedTech is the Barcelona Centre for New Medical Technologies at DTIC, UPF. Our research unit is focused on biomedical integrative research, including mathematical and computational models, algorithms and systems for computer-aided diagnosis and treatment, and their translation to relevant clinical problems and industrial products.
BCN-MedTech has a team of 66 full time researchers working on medical image analysis, signal processing, computational simulation, computerassisted surgery and biomedical electronics. We hold more than 200 I+D projects, 95 external collaborations, 1000 high-impact publications and 19 patents. Our expertise, together with the active participation of our industrial and clinical partners, establish us as European leader in integrative and translational research of medical technologies.
Note it is necessary to state the Reference nº position you are interested in applying.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
We are looking for:
• Researcher with postdoctoral or industrial experience.
• Appropriate technical competence in the described fields.
• Good organization and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• Proactive and highly motivated.
• Good communication, organization and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work well as part of a multidisciplinary team as well as independently.
• Spanish or Catalan will be a plus.
Before Applying please check the specific requirements of the tecniospring main page : http://catalonia.com/innovate-in-catalonia/tecniospringplus/tecniospringdescription.jsp
EURAXESS offer ID: 422209
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.