ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Copenhagen
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE04/08/2019 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONDenmark › Copenhagen
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37
OFFER STARTING DATE01/02/2020
Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management
Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen
The Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor position in remote sensing of terrestrial ecosystems and climate. The position is open from 1 February 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The tenure-track assistant professor will be responsible for conducting research and teaching in the field of Remote sensing related to ecosystem dynamics and interactions with climate and following land use. As a successful applicant, you are expected to have a background in the use of near-field/aerial/satellite remote sensing for analysis of ecosystem processes and climate dynamics, and to have research experience covering one or more of the following aspects:
- Assessment of spatial and temporal variability in ecosystems and/or climate
- Assessment of interactions between climate and ecosystems, in particular in Arctic environments
- State-of-the-art methodology in near-field/aerial remote sensing using UAV and/or satellite data
- Combined use of remote sensing, in situ measurements, and modelling for validation and upscaling – potentially involving Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning.
The tenure track assistant professor is expected to develop own field work campaigns and participate in field work in the Arctic and elsewhere. The candidate is expected to engage in collaborations on remote sensing across the Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management.
As tenure-track assistant professor, you are expected to have a clear research profile with forward-looking visions and plans for the development of your research towards future impact. You should preferably have documented experience in organizing and conducting teaching and experience with supervision of students and have completed an introduction to university pedagogy. You must have experience with managing research funds and be able to put your research and teaching into a societal perspective. You must have good cooperation skills, abilities for self-management and experience from collaboration with stakeholders beyond academia is an advantage.
Once employed, we expect that you will carry out your own research with high creativity and innovative approaches and will strive to publish your work with focus on quality and impact as well as through popular science channels. You will participate in teaching of courses at BSc and MSc level, and you will develop your skills as co-supervisor for PhD students. You will be expected to develop your own as well as collaborative research applications, and be committed to project management and interdisciplinary collaboration. You will build an international scientific network, develop collaboration with stakeholders and collaborate closely with colleagues at the department and contribute to collegial development of the department including participation in scientific and social events.
Your work place will be at the Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management (IGN) which conducts research and education on the past, present and future physical, chemical and biological environments of the Earth and their interactions with societal and human systems to provide graduates and research in support of sustainable future solutions for society.
The position is primarily embedded in the Section for Geography and the research group “Terrestrial Ecosystem Analysis. Processes and interplay between climate, soil and water”. The Section for Geography is a vibrant research and educational environment that spans a wide range of geographical sub-disciplines within human and physical geography. The Section is part of the Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management and collaborates broadly within and beyond the department. Further information on the Department can be found at http://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to Head of Department Claus Beier, tel. (+45) 93565244, email@example.com.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 430.569 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 73.627).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A track record of successful external research funding or clear potential to develop such a track record
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed http://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 4 August 2019, 23:59 GMT +2
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 12 December 2019.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0029/19-2N.
EURAXESS offer ID: 419897
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.