ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Stavanger
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE04/08/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › STAVANGER
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
The University of Stavanger invites applications for a research fellowship in Theoretical Physics, Quantum Field Theory in Cosmology. The position is shared between the Department of Physics, NTNU and Department of Mathematics and Physics, UiS.
This is a trainee position that will give promising researchers an opportunity for academic development leading to a doctoral degree.
The appointment is for four years with both research and 25% compulsory duties. A requirement of the position is that the candidate spends the first two years at NTNU in Trondheim, and the next two years at UiS in Stavanger. The position is vacant from 1/9 2019.
We are looking for an excellent candidate with good knowledge of analytical or numerical computations in quantum field theory, and knowledge of cosmology and early Universe physics. Keywords include quantum field theory in curved space-time, quantum effective actions, inflation, gravity and numerical field theory.
The position is funded by NTNU and UiS. The appointee will be enrolled on the doctoral programme at the University of Stavanger.
The anticipated project deals with implementing advanced quantum field theory methods to quantum fields in the early Universe, phase transitions, inflation and preheating.
We are looking for applicants with a strong academic background who have completed a five-year master degree (3+2) within Physics, preferably acquired recently; or possess corresponding qualifications that could provide a basis for successfully completing a doctorate.
To be eligible for admission to the doctoral programmes at the Univeristy of Stavanger both the grade for your master’s thesis and the weighted average grade of your master’s degree must individually be equivalent to or better than a B grade.
Applicants with an education from an institution with a different grade scale than A-F should attach a confirmed conversion scale that shows how the grades can be compared with the Norwegian A-F scale.
Emphasis is also placed on your:
- motivation and potential for research within the field
- ability to work independently and in a team, be innovative and creative
- ability to work structured and handle a heavy workload
- having a good command of both oral and written English
- varied duties in a large, exciting and socially important organisation
- an ambitious work community which is developing rapidly. We strive to include employees at all levels in strategic decisions and promote an informal atmosphere with a flat organisational structure
- colleague-based guidance programme during your first year of teaching at UiS, NyTi
- salary in accordance with the State Salary Scale, l.pl 17.515, code 1017, NOK 479.600,- gross per year with salary development according to seniority in the position.
- automatic membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund, which provides favourable insurance- and retirement benefits
- favourable membership terms at a gym and at the SIS sports club at campus
- employment with an Inclusive Workplace organisation which is committed to reducing sick leave, increasing the proportion of employees with reduced working capacity, and increasing the number of professionally active seniors
- "Hjem-jobb-hjem" discounted public transport to and from work
- as an employee in Norway, you will have access to an optimal health service, as well as good pensions, generous maternity/paternity leave, and a competitive salary. Nursery places are guaranteed and reasonably priced
- relocation programme in event of moving to Norway, including support and language courses for spouses
It is a prerequisite that the appointee has a residence which enables him or her to be present at/available to the academic community during ordinary working hours.
The University currently employs few female research fellows within this academic field, and women are therefore particularly encouraged to apply.
The position has been announced in both Norwegian and English. In the case of differences of meaning between the texts, the Norwegian text takes precedence.
Information about the appointment procedure can be obtained from HR-advisor Janne Halseth, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this position please follow the link "Apply for this job". Register your application and CV including relevant education and work experience. In your application letter you must show your research interests and motivation to apply for the position.
The following documents must be uploaded as attachments to your application in separate files:
- list of publications
- other documentation that you consider relevant
The documentation must be available in either a Scandinavian language or in English. If the total size of the attachments exceeds 30 MB, they must be compressed before upload. Information and documentation to be taken into account in the assessment must be submitted within the application dealine. Contact details for three references must be provided in the application or upon request.
Please note that information on applicants may be published even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the official list of applicants - see Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act.
UiS only considers applications and attachments registered in JobbNorge.
UiS - challenge the well-known and explore the unknown
The University of Stavanger (UiS) has about 12,000 students and 1,700 employees. We are the only Norwegian member of the European Consortium of Innovative Universities. The university has high ambitions. We will have an innovative and international profile, and will be a driving force in knowledge development and in the process of societal change. Together with our staff and students, we will challenge the well-known and explore the unknown.
Department of Mathematics and Physics is part of the Faculty of Science and Technology. The department offers study programs at all levels within the areas Mathematics, Statistics and Physics. The department is responsible for all basic tuition in mathematics, physics and statistics at the faculty. There are currently 50 employees including doctoral and postdoctoral fellows, and 100 students at the department.
EURAXESS offer ID: 419607
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.