ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Basel
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesMedical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/07/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSwitzerland › Basel
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
September 2019 or per agreement
Aiming for a PhD abroad?
Willing to shape the future of care for senior citizens?
Convinced of the value of obtaining a PhD degree from two universities?
The EU funded TRANS-SENIOR Innovative Training Network builds capacity for tackling a major challenge facing European long-term care systems: the need to improve care for an increasing number of care-dependent senior citizens by avoiding unnecessary transitions and optimising care transitions that are actually needed. To this purpose, TRANS-SENIOR recruits 13 PhD students. More information: https://www.trans-senior.eu/vacancies
The Institute of Nursing Science (INS) at the University of Basel ( https://nursing.unibas.ch/de/home/ ) is one of the partners in the TRANS-SENIOR network and invites applications for the position of a PhD student. The candidate will contribute to the INSPIRE (Implementation of a community-based care program for senior citizens in Canton Basel-Landschaft) project.
INSPIRE is a multi-phase implementation science project aiming to
1) develop and implement a community-based care program for senior citizens in Canton Basel-Landschaft, and
2) evaluate the success of the implementation and the impact of the program on senior citizen-, provider- and health systems level using new methods of public health and implementation research
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Achieve his/her PhD in Nursing Science within a timeframe of 3-4 years
- Contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of the INSPIRE care program
- Participate in teaching activities of the Master in Nursing Science curriculum at INS
- Conduct 2 secondments:
"Academic secondment & double degree university: KU Leuven, Belgium.
"Non-academic: Curaviva Schweiz (Association of Swiss Nursing Homes), Switzerland.
TRANS-SENIOR eligibility criteria
Candidates from any nationality including non-EU countries- are welcome to apply. The following criteria apply to all candidates:
- applicants must be highly motivated to do a PhD and for the overall TRANS-SENIOR purposes;
- Applicants should not have been awarded a PhD degree ;
- At the time of recruitment, applicants should have less than four (full time equivalent) years of experience within a research career ;
- Applicants should not have resided or carried out their main activity in the country of the recruiting institute for more than 12 months in the three years immediately prior to the recruitment ;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English (B2 level or equivalent);
- Willingness to learn the local language of the host institution;
- Good communication and human relationship skills, demonstrable capacity in organizing and managing projects and working in a team.
INSPIRE eligibility criteria
- A master degree in Nursing Science, Public Health, Medicine, Health Economics or another field of health sciences or Master degree from a University of Applied Sciences of similar fields with outstanding grades;
- Experience in community care is highly desirable;
- Sound knowledge of Office software (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel);
- Sound methodological and statistical skills and sound knowledge of statistical analysis software such as R or STATA or the willingness to develop these skills and knowledge;
- Proficiency of German (level C2);
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
We offer you
The successful candidate will:
- Receive a PhD from the University of Basel, as well as the University of Leuven
- Profit from first-hand experience in health services research, working with healthcare providers, policy-makers and decision-makers in community-care;
- Be embedded in the Innovation in Care Delivery Research Group of the INS;
- Be part of the TRANS-SENIOR research and training programme;
- Benefit from the well-established INS research infrastructure and the infrastructure offered by the PhD in Health Sciences Educational Platform (PPHS www.pphs.unibas.ch);
- Have access to the Swiss PhD in Nursing Science Educational Platform (SPINE), a joint PhD educational infrastructure of the University of Basel and University of Lausanne
- Experience a stimulating international working environment which has collaborative relationships with leading international nursing researchers and centers of research in long-term care;
- Work in the heart of Basel, and in the urban and rural areas of Canton Basel-Landschaft;
- Receive compensation in accordance with the Swiss National Science Foundation criteria for doctoral students
Application / Contact
Applications should include the following:
- Letter of motivation, including preferences for one or more of the ESR projects (max. 2 pages);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Copies of Bachelor's and Master's Degree certificates, potential language certificates and other relevant certificates;
- Contact details of two referees;
- A link to a Personal Statement video of (less than) two minutes (recommended, not mandatory)
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
EURAXESS offer ID: 419577
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.