ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversité Côte d'Azur
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › OtherMathematics › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE12/08/2019 17:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › Nice
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37
OFFER STARTING DATE15/11/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions COFUND
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER847581
Deep Learning for Clinical Score Prediction
Datasets in medicine routinely involve thousands of heterogeneous variables, including clinical, neuroimaging, genomic and proteomic measures. The analysis of these datasets is challenging, especially when the number of measurements exceeds the number of individuals. Deep learning methods have brought breakthroughs in many fields including image recognition, video and sound analyses among others.
The DECISION PhD project aims to develop a novel clinical decision support system for diagnosis, prognosis and personalized treatment in the field of Psychiatry. It is worth noting that, in the European Union, more than 30% of people are affected each year by mental disorders.
The PhD student will process datasets consisting of both biological and clinical variables with a convolutional neural network. Her/his main objectives will be to show that such a deep neural network can make a piecewise linear approximation of the data manifold and that it can exploit this approximation to predict a (clinical) score defined over this manifold. Deep learning architectures are known to act as black boxes. By studying the theoretical properties of a deep architecture for linearizing the data manifold, we expect to make the results explainable.
This work will be done in collaboration with The King's College of London (UK).
The programme will provide excellent working conditions to the ESRs:
- Attractive salary of 2709,00 € (gross salary) per month, as well as, different allowances (between 815 and 1215 euros per month) ;
- The legal working time is 37 hours per week, with a daily working duration that does not exceed 10 hours ;
- Subsidized lunches and monthly pass for public transportation ;
- A total amount of yearly vacations of 45 days ;
- Paid sick leaves ;
- Parental leaves following the birth/adoption of a child ;
- Sick and parental leaves add up to the 42-month duration of the contract ;
- In addition to their income, the doctoral candidates who have family obligations will receive an extra family allowance of €400 per month. Furthermore, they will benefit for each child of a monthly financial help from the French social security (calculations based on the household income and on the number of children under the age of 20).
BoostUrCAreer will abide by the mobility rule defined for MSCA, the reference date being the call deadline, meaning applicants will only be eligible if they have lived or had their main activity (work, studies etc.) in France for less than 12 months within the past three years at the time of recruitment (November 15th).
Applicants must have a master’s degree or an international equivalent.
The selection process is detailed in the Applicant Guide available on the BoostUrCAreer application website.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Candidates should have (or expect to achieve prior to August 2019) a MSc degree (or equivalent) in Applied Mathematics or Computer Science (or a related discipline).
Applicants are expected to possess fundamental knowledge and skills in one or more of the following aspects:
- Machine learning,
- Deep learning,
- Statistical estimation/decision theory,
- Numerical optimization,
- Good programming skills.
EURAXESS offer ID: 418634
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.