RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/07/2019 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Funchal
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE15/07/2019
A call is open for 1 Research Fellowship at the Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) of the University of Madeira (Funchal, Portugal), under the Regional Project M1420-01-0145-FEDER-000002, co-financed by “Madeira 14-20” – MITIExcell, under the following conditions:
Closing date: 10-07-2019
Type of contract: full-time
Start date: 15-07-2019 (or any date after this)
Duration: 3 months, non renewable.
Monthly stipend: 752,38 Euros
Job Country: Portugal
Job City: Funchal and/or Lisbon
Job Company / Institute: ITI / LARSyS
Workplace: ITI / LARSyS in Funchal and/or in Lisbon
Main research field: Computer Science - Computer Engineering - IoT - Wireless Communications – Biodiversity monitoring
This research grant targets highly motivated students interested in pursuing a research experience. The research produced during this grant is expected to contribute to the development of a working research prototype.
IoT technologies enable the development of low-cost sensors for opportunities monitoring in many different application domains. Most deployments focus urban environments but here we want to evaluate the use of low-cost IoT sensors for opportunistic environmental monitoring using sea birds. The project includes also long-range communication and positioning using triangulation with LoRa protocolos.
The main tasks of the researcher include:
1) Develop and prototype the hardware sensor using the PyCom hardware platform.
2) To deploy and test the sensor in real-world conditions for positioning and autonomy.
The work will be conducted at ITI/LARSYS, under the supervision of Dr. Marko Radeta.
Legislation and regulations:
The scholarships are directed to applicants under the current conditions established on the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/) and Research Grant Holder Statute.
The scholarship will have a length of 3 months, non renewable, with an expected start of July 15th, 2019.
The student will receive a stipend of 752,38€/month as determined by the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). Accidents insurance is included.
Candidates should have the following requirements, skills, and competencies:
● Be a student of computer science, computer engineering or related fields
● Good programming skills (e.g., Java, Python, Matlab)
● Have very good English oral and written skills
● Previous experience with IoT and wireless communication technologies is a big plus
● Previous experience in the smart-energy domain is a big plus
● Knowledge of data science methods is a big plus
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates must send an email to email@example.com no later than 10-07-2019. The subject of the email should be MITIExcell-RH49.
The following elements should be included in the email:
● Updated Curriculum Vitae (mandatory)
● Motivation letter (mandatory)
● Optional recommendation letters can contribute positively to the candidate evaluation (facultative)
The curricular selection process will be based on:
● Motivation letter (20%)
● Curriculum Vitae (30%)
● Previous experience (20%)
● Interview (30%) if there are multiple eligible candidates
● Dr. Marko Radeta
● Prof. Nuno Jardim Nunes
● Prof. Valentina Nisi
Notification of results:
An email message with the result of the recruitment process will be sent to each applicant.
● The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
● MITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
● The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.
EURAXESS offer ID: 418031
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.