RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Mechanical engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE24/07/2019 01:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Funchal
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK35
- Decision: The Executive Board of Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) took a decision to open an international selection competition for one doctorate position for the exercise of scientific research in the scientific areas of Mechanical Engineering,Eletrical Engineering, Design in the form of an employment contract under an unspecified fixed-term work contract under the “Código do Trabalho (Labor Code), in the context of the project “REDEMA – Using Speculative Design to re-think energy policy and consumer behaviour,” project no. 31691 funded by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT), through Portuguese National Funds (PIDDAC).
- Short description of the project: In the scope of R&D project “REDEMA”, with funding support from FCT, a call is now open for 1 (one) Post-Doc at MITI - Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute, Portugal, under the supervision of Prof. James Auger.
In Europe the dominant approach to energy infrastructure is based on the national grid system, a model typically introduced in the early 20th century. Such systems were designed for a one-way flow of electricity - from remote state or corporate owned centralised generating stations to individual consumers via transmission and distribution lines. In the 21st century a growing demand for energy, combined with environmental concerns and climate action, has led to major shifts in policy. One example is the European Commission’s Smart Grids Task Force - this act essentially calls for classic grid topologies to evolve towards more distributed systems - exploiting bidirectional energy flows facilitated by, for example, wind turbines, solar photovoltaics (PVs), and hydroelectric, as well as two-way flows of information aimed at optimising supply and demand - making the system more transparent, safe, and efficient.
Smart Grids have become a de facto future energy infrastructure, part of a localised and adaptive vision of the grid. However, the latest approaches to infrastructure, as not just technical but also socio-cultural, situated, and site-specific, have yet to be integrated into Smart Grid design. There is a wealth of research and development across disciplines, but there are also a number of issues and gaps in this research that our project aims to address. To start with, research tends to be siloed: for example, into energy policy and markets, social studies of end users (behaviour, demand, metering devices), and engineering and technical barriers (storage, management, transmission). It also tends to be top-down, with organisations pushing smart metering or tariffing onto users. Furthermore, smart grid innovation often takes the form of adding onto legacy infrastructures and their embedded systems of energy distribution, governance, valuation, and ownership. While alternative local methods of energy production and use proliferate, their potential is restricted by a reliance on the historical grid.
Taking advantage of the unique context provided by the Madeiran Archipelago this research project will use a speculative design / speculative engineering approach to explore new energy generation and infrastructure scenarios that move beyond the known limitations of smart grid initiatives that ignore particular cultural, environmental, and social contexts. Building on participatory design methods, combined with open-source knowledge practices, the project will develop methods that localise design practice through interdisciplinary processes. Bespoke solutions will be designed using local knowledge and materials from local landscapes and terrains.
- Work Plan: The successful candidate is expected to work with a multi-disciplinary team of designers, engineers and social scientists to assist in the development of concepts, operational prototypes and surrounding infrastructure. The candidate should be comfortable working in a highly inventive, creative environment.
The emphasis is on developing functional prototypes and bespoke solutions based on unique features in the Madeiran landscape.
This project will be supervised by Prof. James Auger.
- Candidate profile: Candidates should meet the following requirements, skills and competences:
- PhD in mechanical engineering, electric engineering, Design or other related fields;
- Good making skills - mechanical; electrical; programming Experience developing solutions for mobile devices;
- Strong background in design or engineering, bespoke solutions, lateral thinking;
- Previous expertise in energy-related projects, preferably off-grid solutions Excellent spoken and written English skills are mandatory.
- Applicable law: Decree-Law No. 57/2016, of August 29, the regulations for hiring doctorates to stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC), with the amendments introduced by Law No. 57 / 2017, dated July 19, also considering the provisions of Regulatory Decree No. 11-A / 2017, of December 29.
“Código do Trabalho” (Labor Code), approved by Law No. 7/2009, of February 12, in its current wording.
- Jury: In compliance with article 13 of RJEC, the jury of the competition is composed as follows:
• President – Dr. James Auger, PhD, M-ITI
• Member – Dr. Simone Ashby, PhD, M-ITI/UMa
• Member – Dr. Julian Hanna, PhD, M-ITI
- Workplace: the activities will be performed at Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute in Funchal, Madeira (Portugal).
- Salary: In compliance with the provisions of no. 1 of article 5 of the Regulatory Decree No. 11-A/2017, of December 29, this tender is open for the remuneration level 33 of the single remuneration table (TRU), which corresponds to a gross monthly remuneration of 2 128,34 Euros. The monthly remuneration is subject to the deduction of mandatory taxes and social security and meal allowance is added. The employee is entitled to holidays and Christmas bonus salaries as foreseen in “Código do Trabalho” (Labor Code).
- Additional law constraints:
9.1 Decree Law no. 57/2016, of August 29, which approved the regulations for hiring doctorates to stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC), is an enabling norm for this international selection competition
9.2 The opening of this competition is intended for the selection of a doctorate's place for the exercise of scientific research under an unspecified fixed-term work contract under the “Código do Trabalho” (Labor Code) approved by Law No. 7 / 2009, of February 12, in its current wording, being the basis of contracting the execution of a service determined, precisely defined and non-durable, being the contracting necessarily financed regardless of its provenance.
9.3 The maximum term of the working contract is 6 (six) years.
9.4 Termination of the financing, termination of the project or completion of the tasks that are the subject of this competition shall determine the expiration of the contract that will operate with the communication referred to in article 345 (1) of the “Código do Trabalho”(Labor Code), meaning that the employer shall notify the termination of the contract to the employee, at least seven, 30 or 60 days in advance, according to whether the contract lasted up to six months, six months to two years, or per longer period.
- Formalization of applications:
10.1 Considering that the members of the jury of the present competition don’t speak the Portuguese language, applications must be in English and include:
• Motivation letter
• Detailed curriculum vitae, including academic habilitations and experience
• Optional recommendation letters can contribute positively to the candidate evolution.
10.2 Applications must be sent by e-mail, with subject “FCT31691/002 position_Your_Last_Name”, to the e-mail address: email@example.com.
The selected candidate must submit proof of her/his Degree within 10 days following notification of the preliminary results. More information about Diplomas recognition may be found in the Euraxess portal. The deadline for submitting applications will be between 24 June 2019 and 24 July 2019
- By decision of the President of M-ITI, candidates who do not comply with the provisions of point 10 are not admitted to the competition. Candidates who do not deliver all the documents referred to in point 10.1 or who present them unreadable, incorrectly completed, or invalid are eliminated. The jury is also entitled to require any candidate, in case of doubt and for the purposes of admission to competition, to present documentary evidence of the declarations in the submitted documents.
- According to article 5 of RJEC, the selection is made through the evaluation of the scientific and curricular path of the candidates.
- The evaluation of the scientific and curricular path focuses on relevance, quality and timeliness:
a) of the scientific, technological, academic, cultural or artistic production during the last five years and considered more relevant by the candidate;
b) of the applied or practice-based research activities developed over the last five years and considered as having the greatest impact by the candidate;
c) of the activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge developed during the last five years, in particular in the context of promoting the culture and scientific practices considered by the candidate to be of greater relevance;
d) of the activities of science, technology and innovation programs management or of the experience in observing and monitoring the scientific and technological system or higher education, in Portugal or abroad.
- The period of five years referred to in the preceding paragraph may be increased by the jury, at the request of the candidate, when justified on grounds of suspension of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, namely for reasons of parental leave, prolonged serious illness, and other situations of unavailability for work legally protected.
- The assessment criteria are set out in this entry, with the option mentioned in point 10 with particular emphasis on the curriculum vitae and the contributions considered to be of higher relevance by the candidate in the last 3 years:
15.1. Quality of the scientific, technological, cultural or artistic production, considered more relevant by the candidate, and relevant to the project to be developed, which was given a weighting factor of 60% considering:
(i) Scientific publications: a parameter which takes into account books, chapters of books, articles in scientific journals and international conference proceedings of which the applicant was the author or co-author, considering:
• its nature;
• its impact;
• the scientific / technological level and innovation;
• diversity and multidisciplinary;
• international collaboration;
• the importance of contributions to the advancement of the current state of knowledge;
• the importance of the works that have been selected by the candidate as most representative, in particular as regards their contribution to the development and evolution of the scientific area for which the competition is open.
ii) Coordination and participation in scientific projects: a parameter that takes into account the participation and coordination of scientific projects by the candidate, subject to competitive bidding, considering:
• the territorial scope and its size;
• the technological level and the importance of the contributions;
• innovation and diversity.
iii) Accompaniment and orientation of students, trainees and research fellows: a parameter that takes into account the orientation of doctoral students, master's and undergraduate students, trainees and research fellows taking into account the number, quality, scope and scientific / technological impact of the resulting publications, theses, dissertations and final course papers, distinguishing especially the awarded works and the international recognition.
15.2 Activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge, particularly in the context of the promotion of culture and scientific practices, considered of greater relevance by the candidate, and relevant to the project to be developed, which was given a weighting factor of 20% considering:
i) Publications of scientific and technological outreach: parameter that takes into account the articles in magazines and national conferences and other publications of scientific and technological diffusion, taking into account their professional and social impact.
ii) Services to the scientific community and to society: a parameter that takes into account the participation and coordination of scientific and technological dissemination initiatives and taking into account the nature and results achieved by them when carried out towards:
• the scientific community, including the organization of conferences;
• the media.
15.3. In weighing the evaluation criteria listed in paragraphs 15.1 and 15.2, each jury member may consider the following additional parameters under the following conditions, with a weighting factor of 20% considering:
15.3.1.a contribution to the development and evolution of Computer science in the fields of user experience design, interaction design and related areas;
15.3.1.b experience in web and mobile programming;
15.3.1.c Ability to produce physical designs as well as electronic prototypes of medium and high-fidelity; Interest and ability to work with geolocation and geosocial solutions and networking
- The jury may decide to select up to 3 candidates who will be called to hold a session presenting the results of their investigation, following which the jury members should stimulate an open debate on its content and innovative character. This presentation session does not constitute a selection method and is not classified, aiming merely to obtain explanations or clarifications of elements contained in the candidates' curricula.
- The Jury, when it deems it necessary, may request the candidate to present additional documents proving the candidate's statements, which are relevant to the analysis and classification of his/her application.
- Classification of candidates
18.1. Each member of the jury assigned a classification to each of the candidates in each evaluation criterion, on a scale of 0 to 100 points, ranking the candidates according to their classification consisting on the sum of the partial classifications assigned in each evaluation criterion, and considering the weighting factor given to each parameter.
18.2. Candidates shall be ordered by applying the successive voting method.
18.3. The jury decides by absolute majority, and abstentions are not allowed.
18.4. The final classification of each candidate is the one corresponding to his or her ranking resulting from the application of the method referred to in point 18.2.
- Minutes of the jury meetings are drawn up, which contain a summary of what has taken place in them, as well as the votes cast by each of the members and their reasons, being available to the candidates whenever requested.
- The final deliberation of the jury is approved by the President of M-ITI, and it is his responsibility to establish the respective contract.
- The false statements made by the candidates will be punished according to the law.
- The list of admitted and excluded candidates as well as the final ranking list are posted on the premises of M-ITI Human Resources Division, advertised on the website of M-ITI, and the applicants will be notified by email of the notification.
- Prior Hearing and Deadline for Final Decision: After being notified, candidates have 10 working days to submit a formal rebuttal. Within the term of 90 days, counted from the deadline for the presentation of the candidacies, the final decisions of the jury are given.
- This tender is exclusively intended to fill the vacancy indicated and may be terminated until the homologation of the final ranking list of candidates and expiring with the respective occupation of the working position on offer.
- Under the terms of D.L. No. 29/2001, of February 3, a disabled candidate has a preference when in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare on the application form their respective degree of disability, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the aforementioned diploma.
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- Additional notes: M-ITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
- The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.
- Application Period: From June 24th 2019 to July 24th 2019.
- Contract start date is expected to be in August 15,2019
EURAXESS offer ID: 416833
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.