ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE02/07/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,50
There is a vacancy for a PhD position in climate dynamics at the Geophysical Institute and the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research. The position is for a fixed-term period of 4 years with 25% compulsory work (e.g. teaching duties), and is connected to the project Nansen Legacy funded by the Research Council of Norway.
About the project/work tasks
The PhD candidate will investigate the mechanisms of ongoing and future ocean circulation changes in the North Atlantic Ocean and the Arctic. A main aim will be to assess how structural change partitions between wind-driven and overturning circulation on different time scales, and to what extent changes are internally and externally forced. The PhD will also investigate how circulation changes in the North Atlantic are communicated with the Arctic.
The PhD project will rely on the analysis of available observations and reanalysis data to develop a framework for understanding North Atlantic circulation changes. Climate model large ensemble simulations will be used to further assess the mechanisms of present and future changes. PhD supervisors will include Professor Tor Eldevik and Dr. Marius Årthun
We can offer:
- a good and professionally challenging working environment
- salary at pay grade 54 (Code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 10) in the state salary scale. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 479 600. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- the names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees, or official confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted. If you have not yet completed your master's degree, please submit a statement from your institution confirming the expected date of award of your master's degree. Your master's degree must be documented with transcripts and/or diploma, alternatively a confirmation from your institution on completed degree and your grade, by 15.08.2019.
- relevant certificates/references
- approved documentation of proficiency in English (if required, cf. English language requirements for PhD admission)
- a list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- any publications in your name
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Further information about the employment process can be found here.
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Applicants must hold a master's degree or the equivalent in physical oceanography, meteorology, climate dynamics, physics, applied mathematics or related fields. Master students can apply provided they complete their final master exam before 15.08.2019. It is a condition of employment that the master's degree has been awarded.
- Applicants must have in-depth knowledge of ocean and climate dynamics.
- It is strongly desired that applicants are experienced in one or more of the following: mechanisms for ocean and climate variability, ocean circulation and air-sea interaction in the Atlantic-Arctic region, with focus on interannual-to-decadal time scales.
- Skill in the use and formulation of relevant conceptual models, and the acquirement and statistical analysis of climate-related data, are an advantage.
- Experience in scientific programming (e.g., Matlab, Python, Fortran) is desirable.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and demonstrate good collaborative skills.
- Applicants must be proficient in both written and oral English
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
About the PhD position
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time each year comprises required duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results.
The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a qualifying post (e.g. research fellow, research assistant).
About the research training
As a PhD candidate, you must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 3 years. A final plan for the implementation of the research training must be approved by the faculty within two months after you have commenced in the position. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
EURAXESS offer ID: 415994
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.