ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Warsaw
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/07/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2019
- Description of the position
Title of the project: An evolutionary-based approach to design the substrate specificity of the Rossmann fold enzymes
Project description: The goal of the project is to understand the evolution of the Rossmann fold, one of the most prominent protein folds encompassing enzymes with >300 different functions. With the aid of bioinformatics methods, including machine learning and molecular simulations, we will reveal the principles that define the cofactor specificity in Rossmann enzymes. These principles will be used to build a "toolkit" for rational re-engineering of cofactor specificity. The proposed project involves collaboration with two partners: (i) Core Facility for Crystallography and Biophysics, University of Warsaw (Poland) and (ii) Department of Biomolecular Sciences, Weizmann Institute of Science (Israel).
1. Good knowledge of Python and scientific computing libraries (sci-kit, numpy, pandas, biopython). Experience with high-performance computing and Linux environment
2. Previous experience in machine learning and bioinformatics tools (some of the following: protein sequence/structure analysis, protein design, molecular dynamics, phylogenetic analysis)
3. Good writing and oral communication skills in English
1. An opportunity to participate in a multidisciplinary project conducted in a collaboration with scientists from Poland (University of Warsaw) and Israel (Weizmann Institute of Science)
2. The stimulating and very friendly work environment
3. Access to the high-end computing equipment (CPU and GPU clusters)
- How to apply?
1. A copy of a MSc certificate
3. A short CV
4. A short cover letter
5. Contact details of one academic researcher willing to provide a recommendation letter for the Candidate
To allow us to process your data, please include the following statement in your application:
“I hereby consent to have my personal data processed by the University of Warsaw with its registered office at ul. KrakowskiePrzedmieście 26/28, 00-927 Warszawa for the purpose of carrying out a recruitment process and selecting an employee and concluding a contract for employment at the University of Warsaw. I have been informed of my rights and duties. I understand that provision of my personal data is voluntary.”
Keywords: Bioinformatics, protein evolution, machine learning
Maximum period of contract/stipend: 28 months
EURAXESS offer ID: 415727
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.