ORGANISATION/COMPANYVrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE24/06/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Amsterdam
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40.0
The Assistant Professor hired for this position will join the Department of Environmental Policy Analysis (EPA) at the Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM). The successful candidate will have a responsibility to develop and implement innovative research related to the complexity of environmental governance across different levels of policy making. Good knowledge of the European Union is a plus. In addition to research, the successful candidate will be teaching at Bachelor and Master levels within the field of environmental policy and governance as well as supervising Master and Bachelor theses. Teaching and research at IVM are strongly linked, allowing for mutual cross-fertilization. While working closely with colleagues within the Department of Environmental Policy Analysis, the candidate is also expected to engage in interdisciplinary research establishing collaborations with researchers from other scientific disciplines, such as economics, geography, ecology, hydrology and climatology. The successful candidate should have excellent empirical and analytical skills, a strong record with quantitative research methods, and experience working at the science-policy interface. The candidate should show academic leadership, maintain a high publication output, and raise competitive research funding. Teaching, research and management are respectively distributed following a 40%-40%-20% time and effort allocation.
- conduct innovative research by further developing existing research lines at EPA
- write research proposals for external funding
- teach and coordinate courses in BSc and MSc programmes, in particular in the GLOBAL Environmental Change and Policy (GEC&P) programme of our Earth Sciences Master
- recruit and co-supervise PhD researchers
- fulfil limited managerial duties at the department and institute level, including managing European consultancy contracts for the department
A challenging and rewarding position in one of the world’s leading socio-environmental research institutes with the responsibility to play a strong role in research, teaching and have extra-academic social impact. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 (scale 11) and a maximum €4,978 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
The desired starting date is 1 September 2019. We offer a temporary position at the level of Assistant Professor, for the duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP), contribution to commuting expens
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 23 June 2019. . The job interviews are scheduled for Friday 28 June, when possible please take this into account when applying for the position.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Philipp Pattberg
Position: Head of dept
Telephone: +31 (0)20 5989542
Web site for additional job details
- have experience in environmental governance and policy and a related PhD degree
- have a record of publishing research on environmental governance in high quality academic journals
- demonstrate a good understanding of quantitative methods
- have experience with the policy-process in particular at EU-level
- have good knowledge of one of the following policy areas: climate change, energy, water, biodiversity, agriculture, food, oceans
- evidence of prior interdisciplinary research and collaborations
- have experience in acquiring and leading projects in the environmental governance domain
- have experience in academic teaching at bachelor and master levels
- be a team player
EURAXESS offer ID: 411599
Posting organisation offer ID: 55052
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.