RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › BiologyBiological sciences › OtherTechnology › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE19/05/2019 00:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Vairão, Vila do Conde
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/07/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
REFERENCE NUMBERICETA – 2019-45
A research position for PhD holders (Reference ICETA – 2019-45) is available to work on applying third generation sequencing methods to, but not exclusively, ecological questions, at INBIO, through ICETA. The post-doctoral position will be contracted under the scope of the project “EnvMetaGen – Capacity Building at InBIO for Research and Innovation Using Environmental Metagenomics” (Reference Nº 668981), funded by the European Commission under the call H2020-WIDESPREAD-2014-2.
The successful candidate will work on one or more potential projects that will be determined by their interests and skills and the future research areas that are developed at CIBIO-InBIO associated with the EnvMetaGen project.
· Initial appointment for 1 year;
· Internationally competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience;
· Significant opportunities for travelling, training, conference attendance and networking.
The work will be mainly conducted at the Vairão campus of the Centro de Investigação em Biodiversidade e Recursos Genéticos (CIBIO-InBIO), Universidade do Porto, Portugal. However, the candidates may be required to do some field work and spend some time in other labs, both in Portugal and elsewhere, in the scope of research, training and networking activities.
The call for applications is open between 18/04/2019 and 18/05/2019.
Applications should be submitted in English by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, containing in the subject the reference to which the candidate is applying ICETA (Reference ICETA 2019-45), under penalty of exclusion of the candidature.Applications should include a Curriculum vitae including a publication list, name and contact details to 3 referees, and other relevant information relating to the goals of the project, as well as a Motivation Letter that includes a brief description of the candidate’s research experience and why they are suitable for the position.
The Jury panel will select the best candidate based on his/her merit, through the analysis of:
1. The strength of the candidate’s Curriculum Vitae in meeting the requirements for the position.
2. The candidate’s experience in similar projects in the past.
3. The performance of the candidate in an interview that will be arranged either in person or by videoconference after short-listing of candidates based on their Curriculum Vitae.
Applicants will initially be evaluated based on their Curriculum Vitae (30%) and Motivation letter (30%). A shortlist based on evaluation of the written applications and the comments of referees will be used to select candidates for interview, which will allow a final evaluation (40%).
Dr Nuno Fonseca
Dr Fredrik Oxelfelt
Dr Bastian Egeter
Dr Joana Paupério
Candidates will be directly informed by email about the result of their application.
More info on the application available here: http://www.eracareers.pt/opportunities/index.aspx?task=global&jobId=113744 and on the institution's website: https://cibio.up.pt/open-positions-careers/details/iceta-2019-45-
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: PhD or equivalent
We seek candidates with computational background and/or experimental wet-lab background.
- A PhD degree or equivalent (or have submitted their PhD thesis for assessment before the application deadline) on molecular biology, genetics, computational biology, bioinformatics, computer science, or related areas.
- Publication of their own research in international, peer-reviewed journals.
- Candidates with computational background are expected to have knowledge and experience in the analysis of biological high-throughput sequencing data.
- Candidates with experimental wet-lab background are expected to have strong expertise in DNA laboratory work and an open mind to learn computation.
- Ability to learn and master new technologies and skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluent in English
- Candidates with computational: solid computer programming, statistical, data mining, and machine learning skills
- Candidates with experimental wet-lab background: experience in the use of a scripting language
- Data analysis methods: including statistical analyses; scripting in R, Python or similar languages; bioinformatics methods for analysis of high throughput sequencing data; and high quality data presentation for publication.
- Organisation of sample collection, preservation and archiving
- Working knowledge of LINUX operating systems
- Experience in second generation sequencing technologies
- Experimental planning and working effectively both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Well-developed collaborative skills.
EURAXESS offer ID: 406698
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.