ORGANISATION/COMPANYFree University of Bozen-Bolzano
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE08/07/2019 17:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Bolzano
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2019
PhD Scholarships in Computer Science at the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (Italy)
19 PhD positions (15 four-year funded PhD grants and an additional 4 unfunded positions) are currently offered by the Faculty of Computer Science of the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano in Italy for its PhD programme.
The Free University of Bozen-Bolzano was founded in 1997 as a multilingual (English, German, Italian) internationally oriented institution.
The university is located in one of the most fascinating European regions, the Dolomites. This young university has already established itself as an important research institution, both in Italy and abroad. According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018, the university is the tenth world’s best small university and it is the second best young Italian University. According to the same ranking, the Faculty of Computer Science of the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano is the third best Italian computer science department, it is the best for international outlook Italian computer science department, and it is the best for citations Italian computer science department.
A public competition for in total 19 PhD positions at the Faculty of Computer Science is currently open, of which 15 positions will be fully covered by grants (17,000€ per year). In addition, students will have access to funding for attending summer schools and conferences. Additional financial support is given to spend a period of 6-12 months at an international research center.
The language of the PhD program is English.
The deadline for applications is the 8th of July, 2019.
PhD candidates are strongly advised to look at the three areas (listed below) which are the focus of research at the Faculty of Computer Science, and to get in contact with their desired research area coordinators/supervisors before applying. The Selection Committee ranks PhD students based on a comparative assessment of the merits and qualifications of applicants, taking into account also feedback from potential supervisors in the selected research area.
Information and database systems engineering:
- Spatial And Temporal Databases
- Processing Data Streams And Time Series Data
- Approximation Techniques In Databases
- Query Optimization In Databases
- Data Mining And Machine Learning For Personalization
- Decision Support And Recommendation Systems
- Human-centered Computing
- Cooperative Interfaces For Information Access And Filtering
- Interaction Design
- Edge Computing Architectures And Platforms
- Image Processing And Computer Vision
- Mathematical And Scientific Computing
Knowledge representation and databases:
- Logic-based Languages For Knowledge Representation
- Intelligent Data Access And Integration
- Semantic Technologies
- Conceptual And Cognitive Modelling
- Data-aware Process Modelling, Verification, And Synthesis
- Business Process Monitoring, Mining, And Conformance
- Temporal Aspects Of Data And Knowledge
- Extending Database Technologies
- Visual And Verbal Paradigms For Information Exploration
- Reasoning With Uncertain And Imprecise Knowledge
Software and systems engineering:
- Empirical Software Engineering
- Mining Software Repositories
- Software Reliability And Testing
- Automatic Improvement And Empirical Investigation Of Software Quality Attributes
- Recommendation Systems In Software Engineering
- Software System Behavior
- Software Evolution And Maintenance
- Software Engineering Education
- Agile And Lean Processes
- Lean Startup And Software Startups
- Dependable IoT, Edge And Cloud Computing
- Software Architecture
Some positions are also offered in collaboration with external research and industry partners (FBK, SIAG). Please indicate in your application if you are interested in these collaboration topics.
For detailed information on the call and application procedures, please look at:
For further questions, contact the coordinator of the 2019/2020 PhD Programme, Prof. Claus Pahl, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EURAXESS offer ID: 405508
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.