ORGANISATION/COMPANYSennheiser electronic GmbH &amp;amp;amp;amp; Co. KG
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Electrical engineeringEngineering › Mechanical engineeringEngineering › Simulation engineeringEngineering › Sound engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/05/2019 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Wedemark
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/08/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER812719
HOSTING COMPANY - SENNHEISER ELECTRONIC
Sennheiser is one of the world's leading manufacturers of premium electro-acoustic products. We currently employ more than 2,800 people, with over 400 in R&D. Considering 3D audio as the next big step, Sennheiser started the AMBEO 3D audio research & innovation program at our 3 research locations in Germany, Switzerland and the US.
This PhD is one of 15 related but complementary positions of the project VRACE (Virtual Reality Audio for Cyber Environments) which is funded by the European Commission within the framework of the Marie Curie / Innovative Training Network program. VRACE deals with analysis, modelling, numerical simulation and reconstruction of 3D soundscapes for applications in Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR). The consortium of VRACE is highly multidisciplinary and comprises 9 cooperating Universities and their industrial partners, such as Siemens, Mueller-BBM, Sennheiser and Facebook Reality Labs (former Oculus). All recruited researchers receive an international 3-year PhD training for excellence organized by the consortium.
YOUR RESEARCH TOPIC INSIDE VRACE
As ESR15 you investigate and optimize the auralisation step within the virtualisation process. Simulating sound signals of a virtual acoustical event is not sufficient for enabling its realistic auralisation. That’s because the headphone used for auralisation is itself a complex sound generation and transmission system and has a significant influence on the accuracy of sound reproduction and the psychoacoustical perception of a perfect illusion.
To enhance the accuracy of sound reproduction you develop an accurate modeling and perform numerical simulations of the sound generation and transmission characteristics inside the headphone-ear-canal system. Furthermore, you investigate the influence of perception related effects like occlusion, haptic perception, hear through transparency and you propose an approach for compensation.
- The PhD is co-supervised by Sennheiser and the Leibniz University of Hanover in an enriching combination of fundamental research and insights in the audio industry applications
- Win experience inside one of the world's leading and prestigious audio companies.
- Profit from a rich and manifold PhD training program organized by the consortium at the facilities of other consortium members in Europe & the US, covering a wide spectrum of scientifical and practical audio aspects
- Build a valuable academic and industrial network in the audio area
- Get a competitive remuneration (45 k€, before deduction of both employers and employee contributions to social security and labour taxes
The MSC-ITN-ETN programme is aiming for promoting cross-national young scientists networks and sets as eligibility criteria:
- You have no or not more than four years (full-time equivalent) of research experience
- You must not have resided in Germany for more than 12 months in the last 3 years
Please send your application to Dr. Hatem Röschmann-Foudhaili email@example.com
Your application must contain
- Motivation Letter. Please provide information about the compliance with the mandatory eligibility Criteria stated above.
- Copies of diplomas and attestations
- If possible, electronic document containing the master’s Thesis.
Women are particularly encouraged to apply! The VRACE network strives to improve gender balance in research.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentPhysics: Master Degree or equivalentComputer science: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- M.Sc. in engineering, physics or a closely related discipline with relevant experience in computer programming
- Strong background in acoustics/vibroacoustics with practical experience in acoustic measurement techniques
- Research spirit with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Enthusiasm to participate in highly interdisciplinary research spanning across acoustics, numerical methods and virtual reality with the ability to interact in good verbal and writing communication skills in English
- Ability to participate in trainings at the facilities of other consortium members across Europe and in the US
- Good Skills in signal processing and numerical simulations
- Proficiency in FEM simulation software (e.g. COMSOL, ANSYS etc.)
- Experience in audio for VR/AR
EURAXESS offer ID: 395538
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.