ORGANISATION/COMPANYAalto University School of Science
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Sound engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/04/2019 16:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONFinland › Espoo
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/08/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER812719
- This PhD is part of a Marie Curie Training Network dealing with Virtual Reality Audio for Cyber Environments (VRACE). The research is highly multidisciplinary and will take place in the context of the call H2020-MSCA-ITN-2018. The advertised position is one of 15 related but complementary positions funded by the European Training Network (ETN) 812719 “VRACE. This ETN deals with analysis, modelling, numerical simulation and reconstruction of dynamic 3-dimensional soundscapes for applications in Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR). All ESRs participate in a PhD program and receive an international 3-year PhD training for excellence organized by 9 cooperating Universities and their industrial partners, such as Siemens, MuellerBBM, Sennheiser and Facebook Reality Labs (former Oculus).
- The goal of this particular project (ESR10) is to determine listeners' tolerance to environments with mismatched, or mixed room acoustics for each sound source in order to determine the perceptual consequences of such conditions, specifically immersion, perceived quality, and speech intelligibility. By measuring listener sensitivity to parameters such as direct to reverberant ratio, room modes, timing, intensity, and directivity of early reflections, and properties of late reverberation, we can have a sensitive assay for acceptable room acoustic mismatch for mixed reality applications. With these results in hand, combining real and virtual sources in a seamless manner could become closer within reach.
In addition, the research includes studies on room acoustics rendering in virtual environments. Perceptual limits for changes in room acoustics, when a user moves in virtual world, will be searched. Moreover, the most efficient ways to render room acoustics will be investigated. The Aalto Virtual Acoustics Team has a lot of experience on all the required research fields and the project will have strong support by the other PhD students, post-docs, and the supervising professor. The project includes research visits to Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), and the personnel of FRL are acting as additional supervisors for the early stage researcher.
The host organisation will appoint the successful applicant under an employment contract with a very competitive salary according to EU regulation, including social security. The duration of the contract is, at least, 36 months. The fellow is expected to join their host organizations starting between July 1st2019 and September 1st2019. The salary is composed from the following allowances depending on the personal status of each fellow:
- Living allowance: Monthly rate of around €3,100. This amount includes the monthly salary for the fellow before any deductions (contributions of both employers and employees to social security, pension, taxation, voluntary deductions, etc). Therefore, it is impossible to define an exact salary at this moment.
- Mobility Allowance: Monthly rate of €600. Contributes to the expenses of the researcher caused by the mobility.
- Family Allowance: Monthly rate of €500. For all the recruited fellows who have family at the time of the recruitment.
Additional funding for participation to courses, workshops, international conferences, etc. is ensured.
This position includes doctoral studies. The successful applicant must register for the PhD program at Aalto University School of Science. The duration of the doctoral studies in Finland is 4 years. Therefore, this position includes an additional year contract at the end of VRACE (the employment contract conditions for this last year are according to Aalto regulations).
The main research area of the Virtual Acoustics Team at Aalto University is room acoustics and spatial sound. The team has worked over two decades on room acoustics modeling and auralization. Moreover, during last decade the team has concentrated on concert hall acoustics, and results in human perception, novel spatial sound measurement and auralization techniques have raised the team to be one of the best in the world in room acoustics.
Prof. Tapio Lokki leads the team, which has state-of-the-art multichannel listening rooms, anechoic chambers, measurement equipment, and working conditions. The team has also very good connections in academia world-wide and with companies in Finland. The Virtual Acoustics team is part of amultidisciplinary research centerAalto Acoustics Lab (https://www.aalto.fi/aalto-acoustics-lab)
Aalto University (https://www.aalto.fi) is a multidisciplinary community where science and art meet technology and business. Aalto University offers to the selected candidate an innovative and ambitious research environment with the best scientists in their fields. Aalto, having about 20 000 students and 4 500 employees, is located in Espoo, 11 minutes with metro from downtown of Helsinki. Finland is known for its excellent social security system and beautiful nature. For the selected candidate assistance for finding accommodation can be given.
The applicant may be of any nationality.
The applicant shall at the time of recruitment be in the first four years of his/her research career and have not been awarded a doctoral degree. This is measured from the date when the applicant obtained the degree, which would formally entitle him/her to register as PhD candidate.
The applicant must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity in the country of the host institute for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment.
Application period is open from March 22nd2019. The evaluation process of the applications will start from April 23rd2019.
Please, send the following application documents or any questions regarding this position to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Motivation letter
- Study record, including the MSc degree certificate
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply; the VRACE network strives to improve gender balance in research.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
All candidates must be fluent in spoken and written English. The R&D is highly multidisciplinary. An ideal candidate has an M.Sc. in engineering (e.g. acoustics, computer science, physics, mathematics) or in psychology.
- Knowledge of psychoacoustics, room acoustics, audio signal processing, and Matlab skills is a strong advantage.
- Moreover, familiarity with VR technology and practical skills in programming and audio technology are really helpful for this research.
- Candidates get the opportunity to perform this work as part of a PhD study.
- All members of the network are equal opportunity employers, both female and male candidates are invited to apply.
EURAXESS offer ID: 392418
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.