RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Sound engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE05/05/2019 00:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONAustria › Vienna
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER812719
Parallelization of scalable domain decomposition methods
- This PhD is part of a Marie Curie Training Network dealing with Virtual Reality Audio for Cyber Environments (VRACE). The research is highly multidisciplinary and will take place in the context of the call H2020-MSCA-ITN-2018. The advertised position is one of 15 related but complementary positions funded by the European Training Network (ETN) 812719 “VRACE. This ETN deals with analysis, modelling, numerical simulation and reconstruction of dynamic 3-dimensional soundscapes for applications in Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR). All ESRs participate in a PhD program and receive an international 3-year PhD training for excellence organized by 9 cooperating Universities and their industrial partners, such as Siemens, MuellerBBM, Sennheiser and Facebook Reality Labs (former Oculus).
Women are particularly encouraged to apply! The VRACE network strives to improve gender balance in research.
- As Early State Researcher (ESR4) within this project, you develop domain decomposition methods (DDMs) for the efficient computation of wave propagation. Both in vibro- and aero-acoustics, non-conforming grid interfaces are highly desirable to arrive at an optimal discretization for each sub-domain. A non-conforming grid technique as Nitsche-type mortaring (see, e.g., M. Kaltenbacher (Ed). Computational Acoustics. CISM Courses and Lectures, Springer, Vol. 579, 2018) fulfils the physical interface conditions between the different sub-domains and results in highly efficient computational schemes. The proof of concept will be run on the Vienna Scientific Cluster offering 32320 XEON CPU cores as well as CUDA access to state-of-the-art GPUs.
You can apply for this job no later than May 05, 2019 by sending the required documents (compress all files into one zip-file) via email to Prof. Manfred Kaltenbacher email@example.com (https://www.mec.tuwien.ac.at/mk/EN/), who will also be your contact for more information. In addition visit http://www.vrace-ETN.eu.
The PhD is hosted by TU Wien, Institute of Mechanics and Mechatronics, Research division Technical Acoustics. We have long track record of combining excellent fundamental research with industrially relevant applications, leading to dissemination in both highly ranked academic journals as well as on industrial fora. More information on our research topics can be found on the following websites:
- Institute of Mechanics and Mechatronics
- Division Technical Acoustics
- Our research software
- You have a master degree in engineering, scientific computing, computational engineering, physics or mathematics, obtained no longer than four years ago, and performed above average in comparison to my peers.
- You are in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of your research career and you have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- You are proficient in written and spoken English.
- You have not had residence or main activities in Austria for more than 12 months in the last 3 years.
- During your courses or prior professional activities, you have gathered experience with the physical principles of acoustics, and numerical solution techniques, such as the Finite Element Method, Finite Volume Method or Discontinuous Galerkin Method.
- You feel comfortable to work as a team member and you are eager to share your results to inspire and being inspired by your colleagues.
- During your PhD you want to grow towards following up the project that you are involved in and representing the research group on project meetings and conferences.
Interested? To apply for this position, please enclose the following documents:
- full CV – mandatory
- motivation letter – mandatory
- full list of credits and grades of both BSc and MSc degrees (as well as their transcription to English if possible) – mandatory (when you haven’t finished your master degree yet, just provide us with the partial list of already available credits and grades)
- proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, …) - if available
- two reference letters - if available
- your MSc thesis and recent publications - if available
EURAXESS offer ID: 390654
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.