ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental science › Earth science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE08/04/2019 16:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPoland › Sopot
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
OFFER STARTING DATE19/05/2019
•Master's degree in discipline related to the project’s scope (the details are below)
• Experience in ecology and/or earth sciences
• Good skills in statistical analyses, including multidimensional ones (e.g., PCA, ANOSIM, RDA, t-sne, ANOVA, Hierarchical Clustering, etc.)
• Very good level of written and oral English language
• Experience in programming languages (e.g., R, Matlab, Python etc.) and experience in modeling
• Good communication skills with others Lab members, high motivation for work in interdisciplinary team/scope, passion for science, creativity
• Experience in publishing scientific results
Scholarship in the amount of PLN 4 500 PLN per month, paid for 36 months. The scholarship can start between May and October 2019.
Applications should be submitted by 8th April 2019, 4:00 p.m., via e-mail to the following addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org (project’s co-ordinator) and/or email@example.com with a title: "PhD student – CoastDark".
We will contact selected candidates by email by 15th April 2019.
1) Cover letter
2) Curriculum vitae with a list of achievements (including the list of publications and description of skills useful in the project, in which the candidate has experience)
3) Master's degree diploma copy (or equivalent certificate of the finishing of the master’s study)
4) 'Portoflio' illustrating the previous research experience (pdf of the results of the master's thesis or any other conference/seminar/poster presentation)
5) At least one recommendation letter and/or opinion on the candidate from the previous supervisor (of MSc thesis) or former directors with whom the applicant has previously cooperated with the contact details
6) Information clause on the processing of personal data (http://www.iopan.gda.pl/praca
/INFORMACJE_O_PRZETWARZANIU_DANYCH_OSOBOWYCH.pdf) together with the signed consent (signed scan) - http://www.iopan.gda.pl/praca/KLAUZULA_ZGODY.pdf)
All required documents should be saved in one PDF file.
The detailed conditions of employment are defined in the "Regulations for granting scholarships in research projects financed from the resources of the National Science Centre determined by the decision of the NCN Council no. 96/2016 of October 27, 2016."
The competition will be settled by 15th May 2019. The candidate who receives the highest number of points on the ranking list will be employed. Employment may be offered to the next person on the ranking list in a situation when the laureate of the competition resigns from signing the scholarship agreement.
Project title: Changes in the structure and functioning of pelagic ecosystems affected by water darkening due to glacier/river runoff in the fjords of European Arctic (CoastDark)
Project short description: The objective of the project is to analyse the influence of water darkening, due to the intensified glacier/river runoff, on the functioning of the marine pelagic food webs in the Arctic coastal waters. The aim is to quantify how the share of living plankton organisms in relation to mineral and organic particles will change along the gradient from the glacier/river discharge towards the open waters in the fjords of the western Spitsbergen. The project sampling will be carried out during two summer campaigns (July, 2019 & 2020) from the R/V “Oceania” in different fjords of the west Spitsbergen (e.g., Hornsund, Adventfjord, Kongsfjord). The investigation will be performed by the application of both modern optical methods and traditional oceanographic approaches. The water content at particular stations and depth water layers will be attributed to several traits: size, type (mineral vs organic, living vs dead) and composition. The final project result will be a model that will simulate the composition of various seawater components under different environmental scenarios.
Participation in the design of a numerical model dealing with the content of “glacial soup” (plankton vs. suspended matter) in the Arctic coastal waters concerning various environmental scenarios. Implementation, testing and validation of the model and numerical calculations. Active participation in the summary, presentation and publication of project results.
Moreover, the candidate must meet the conditions of the regulations for granting research scholarships in research projects financed by the NCN funds, in particular:
1) The NCN scholarship may be awarded to a person who, at the beginning of work in the project and during the whole scholarship period, meets any of the following criteria:
• is a PhD student, participating in doctoral studies conducted by an authorized organizational unit of the university, a scientific institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences, a research institute or an international scientific institute operating within the Republic of Poland established on the basis of separate regulations;
• participates in the doctoral seminar and works on the preparation of the doctoral dissertation.
2) During being a beneficiary of the NCN scholarship at the maximum level, which is planned within this project, the candidate cannot receive any other remuneration from the NCN's funds (under a contract of employment and/or civil law contracts).
In addition to the above formal requirements, the candidate is expected to represent:
- education in the broad range of biological and ecological sciences and sincere interest in the use of numerical methods for a better understanding of the processes that shape marine ecosystems;
- a high degree of motivation, communicativeness, creativity, reliability, diligence, punctuality, the ability to work both independently and in a team, and the ability to critically evaluate the obtained results;
- involvement in the field work in difficult conditions (e.g., seasickness, limited space on the research ship) and non-standard working hours (e.g., night shifts during cruises, travelling to and/or participating conferences during the weekend) and no health contraindications to work at sea;
- active participation in conferences, science festivals and other forms of dissemination of project’s results and preparation of scientific publications in English at a high, international level.
EURAXESS offer ID: 387160
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.