ORGANISATION/COMPANYMedical Univeristy of Gdańsk
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesComputer scienceMedical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/05/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Gdańsk
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/08/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
Project title: 3P - Medicine "Mutations acquired during lifetime that lead to increased risk for human disease, with focus on cancer"
The 3P-Medicine Laboratory (personalized, preventive, precision) is a new science center specializing in research on acquired genetic mutations as risk factors for cancer and other diseases.
In the initial years of operation of the centre, researchers will primarily examine the role of post zygotic mutations (PZMs) in the development of breast cancer in women, prostate cancer in men, cancer of the colon and the bladder in both sexes, as well as Alzheimer’s disease. A part of the project will be devoted to analyses of loss of the Y chromosome in aging men, in connection with multiple outcomes. The research will aim at identification of the specific PZMs that are most relevant for susceptibility to these diseases. This will require collection of thousands of clinical samples especially for this purpose from patients at various stages of disease. The samples will be collected from blood and skin, and from malignant tumours, lymph nodes, distant metastases, and tissues unaffected by a nearby primary tumour.
Key responsibilities include:
1.Establishment of suitable software and hardware setup for computational needs of the IRA programme, including for data storage
2.processing, analysis and management of NGS and genotyping data
3.Implementing bioinformatic workflows using e.g. Snakemake, NextFlow
4.Automation of procedures using cluster job scheduler e.g. SLURM
5.Accounting of data, results and protocols
6. Assigning tasks to team members and creating a research schedule
7.Supporting and providing and bioinformatics assistance for the entire research team
8.Developing data analysis methods for purposes of scientific publications
1.Full-time employment contract;
2.Opportunity to work in an innovative scientific environment;
3.International cooperation with experienced researchers;
4.Administrative support, including assistance in recruiting technicians, PhD-student and post-doctoral scientists for your group;
5.Access to well-staffed core facilities;
6.Start-up package and funds allocated to running your group;
7.Access to the resources of GUMed IT, biobank of the Department of Medical Laboratory Diagnostics IT, UPPMAX (Uppsala Multidisciplinary Center for Advanced Computational Science).
8.You will be considered for a tenured faculty position at the Medical University of Gdansk, depending on a successful evaluation.
2. Motivation letter;
3. References to at least three former or current employers /mentors.
Please submit all above documents in a single pdf file.
1. PhD degree (minimum); relevant disciplines are computational biology, bioinformatics, genetics or related fields.
2. Documented work experience of NGS bioinformatics in an academic or industry setting (5+ years)
3. Publication record in NGS and cancer genomics
4. Proven experience in leveraging best practices from the genomics community
5. Linux/Unix sysadmin experience
6. Proven working knowledge of programming in Python, Perl or other scripting languages
7. Working knowledge of SQL and R
8. Ability to work in a team and manage projects and people
9. High level English, both spoken and written
10. Experience in biostatistics (preferred)
11. Demonstrated leadership ability in training and supervising a team of scientists
EURAXESS offer ID: 385046
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.