ORGANISATION/COMPANYPolitecnico di Milano
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biological engineeringChemistry › BiochemistryEngineering › Biomaterial engineeringEngineering › Chemical engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE29/03/2019 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Milano
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/05/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
REFERENCE NUMBERCODOBIO ESR13
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER812909
CODOBIO – Continuous Downstream Processing of Biologics - is a recently granted Marie Skłodowska Curie European Training Network. CODOBIO is implemented by a European Consortium of universities, research institutions and companies in the field of bioprocess engineering. Main objectives of CODOBIO are (i) process control and modelling of continuous downstream processes, (ii) miniaturization, scale-up and –down of continuous downstream processes and (iii) process design and development of integrated continuous downstream processes.
This PhD position will be hosted in the department of Chemistry, Materials and Chemical Engineering "Giulio Natta", at Politecnico di Milano, Italy. This PhD position offers the opportunity to work in a leading university in the field of continuous processes and to experience an international framework. A prerequisite for the candidate is therefore the propensity and availability to travel. The main objectives of the project are:
- Defining deterministic and statistical methods to monitor the process and the variability in the inputs. The use of hybrid models will be evaluated. Particular attention will be paid to capture, polishing and concentration steps. Continuous virus inactivation steps will be also part of the investigation.
- Define online monitoring for the definition of quality in input/output streams. Focus will be put on combination of techniques (e.g. UV+Raman).
- Define strategies for the control of the different steps in combination with continuous optimization of the process throughput and column and buffer utilization.
- Define procedures to regress model parameter (or train statistical models) and to test models on their ability to ensure product quality.
- Define strategy to correct predictive models by using off-line data.
- Be part of a highly interacting interdisciplinary project team – structured secondments to other project partners are planned
- Start to build up your scientific network - meet and exchange regularly with 15 other PhD students working in the same project
- Join an embedded and customized education program– gain scientific/technical skills as well as transferable skills to complement your qualification
- Specific Eligibility Criteria valid at time of recruitment on the H2020 Marie Skłodowska Curie programme:
- The applicants has to be within the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Mobility rule: The applicants may not have resided or carried out main activity (studies, work, etc.) in Italy for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the recruitment date.
To apply for this position, write an e-mail to Mattia Sponchioni, firstname.lastname@example.org (cc: email@example.com) by stating in the subject the reference number CODOBIO ESR13. Please attach to the e-mail: copy of your CV; motivation letter; certificate of your degree and proof of residence for the last three years.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalentEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentChemistry: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or Biological Engineering.
- Interpersonal skills conductive to team work and group research efforts
- Travel abroad for training purposes is part of the training programme
EURAXESS offer ID: 382288