ORGANISATION/COMPANYNTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Maritime engineeringEngineering › Systems engineeringTechnology › Knowledge technologyTechnology › Marine technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/03/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Trondheim
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
Department of Marine Technology have an open PhD position related to this topic:
Online risk modelling of autonomous ships
The position reports to Professor Ingrid B. Utne
- The Department of Marine Technology at NTNU and partners were awarded a Centre of Excellence by the Norwegian Research Council in 2013.
- NTNU AMOS vision is to establish a world-leading research centre for autonomous marine operations and systems: to nourish a lively scientific heart in which fundamental knowledge is created through multidisciplinary theoretical, numerical, and experimental research within the knowledge fields of hydrodynamics, structural mechanics, marine biology, guidance, navigation, and control. Cutting-edge inter-disciplinary research will provide the necessary bridge to realize high levels of autonomy for ships and ocean structures, unmanned vehicles, and marine operations and to address the challenges associated with greener and safer maritime transport, monitoring and surveillance of the coast and oceans, offshore renewable energy, and oil and gas exploration and production in deep waters and Arctic waters.
- Autonomous ships require extensive situation awareness based on advanced sensors scanning the environment for obstacles, and fault detection and diagnosis of on-board systems. Challenges are sensor fusion, collision avoidance, decision under uncertainty, intelligent supervisory control, real-time processing and analysis of large amounts of data, fault-tolerant energy management of hybrid marine power plants, and risk management. Research challenges include methods and strategies for safe and reliable performance to ensure that the autonomous systems comply with requirements.
- The research study for the available PhD position is on the development of methods for online risk modeling for supervisory control and decision criteria for autonomous ships.
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in Marine Technology, Engineering Cybernetics, Control Systems, RAMS or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale.
Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant
- Master students graduating summer 2019 can apply.
- Master students graduating by the end of June 2020 may apply for admission as integrated MSc and PhD.
- Relevant industry experience may be an advantage.
- Academic results, publications, relevant specialization, work or research experience, personal qualifications, and motivation and a desire to make an impact on critical societal problems will be considered when evaluating the applicants.
- Excellent English skills, written and spoken, are required. Applicants from non-English speak countries outside Europe must present an official language test report. The acceptable tests are TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 / writing 4.5 (paper-based test), 92 / writing 22 (internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong ability to express research work and results in English, both written and orally
- Flexible and dependable
- Highly motivated and hard working
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Read more about the position and apply at Jobbnorge.no.
EURAXESS offer ID: 379037
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.