ORGANISATION/COMPANYVrije Universiteit Brussel
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › Optics
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/03/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Gooik
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/06/2019
The objective for this Post-Doc position is to combine innovative photonic crystal fibre technologies with the peculiar nonlinear optical properties of carbon nanotubes (CNTs) to allow a new generation of second harmonic generation (SHG) microscopy. The offered job post is situated in the multidisciplinary research project CHARMING, funded by the Belgian EOS (Excellence of Science) programme and involving 7 partners with B-PHOT member prof. Francis Berghmans as project coordinator. More information can be found on the project website: http://www.eos-charming.be
The Post-Doc candidate will join the Brussels Photonics (B-PHOT) research group of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) in Belgium. With 45 international experts in fundamental and applied photonics research, B-PHOT covers the entire research cycle from modelling and fabrication to characterization and proof-of-concept demonstration (http://www.b-phot.org/). Over the last decade, B-PHOT acquired theoretical and experimental expertise on modelling and design of photonic crystal fibres using dedicated software platforms, as well as on characterisation and implementation of PCFs for various applications. In particular, the group achieved breakthroughs in the demonstration of PCFs for low-bending loss fibres, large mode area fibre lasers and optical fibre sensors based on fibre Bragg gratings.
We are looking for an excellent Post-Doctoral Researcher in Photonics (duration = 36 months) to join our team:
- Simulate and design dedicated PCFs to feature optimized dispersion and phase-matching properties in view of the SHG functionality that needs to be achieved, taking into account the actual manufacturing constraints.
- Guide the fabrication of the fibres during stays at University Marie Curie-Sklodowska (Lublin, Poland).
- Participate in the functionalization with CNTs at University of Antwerp (Antwerp, Belgium).
Starting date: Between May and August 2019.
The available Post-Doc position has a duration of 3 years (and prolongation possible). After a first period of six months, you will be evaluated, and the contract will be extended only if your evaluation was positive.
To apply please send your detailed CV (including a copy of the PhD diploma), letters of recommendation, your publication list and an application letter to Prof. Thomas Geernaert (email@example.com) before 30thMarch 2019. If your application is selected based on the CV and accompanying documents, you will be invited for a teleconference interview and online tests.
The work location will be the VUB Photonics Innovation Centre, Vollezelestraat 46, 1755 Gooik, Belgium. The centre, located at VUB’s Photonics Campus in Gooik outside of Brussels, is a totally new research facility with world-unique large-scale equipment for the fabrication, characterization and demonstration of photonic components. Part of its equipment is placed in clean room conditions, and the facility is currently being expanded with dedicated labs for advanced material and fiber processing. The brand-new offices at the Photonics Innovation Centre host about 20 B-PHOT researchers. More information about the centre can be found at: http://www.b-phot.org/www/Industrial-photonics/Photonics-Innovation-Center
As an employee of VUB you will receive a salary on one of the pay scales laid down by the government, depending on your experience and academic merits. Hospitalisation cover and free use of public transport for travel to and from work are standard conditions of employment. If you would rather cycle to work, compensation is also available for that.
More information is available at www.vub.ac.be under the heading ‘future employees’.
To apply please send your detailed CV (including a copy of the PhD diploma), letters of recommendation, your publication list and an application letter to Prof. Dr. Ir. Thomas Geernaert (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 30th March 2019. If your application is selected based on the CV and accompanying documents, you will be invited for a teleconference interview and online tests.
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) is a dynamic university with 4 campuses in and around Brussels, one of which is dedicated to photonics research. The university has 8 faculties that accomplish the three central missions of the university: education, research, and service to the community. The faculties cover a broad range of fields of knowledge including natural sciences, classics, life sciences, social sciences, humanities, and engineering. The university provides bachelor, master, and doctoral education to over 15,000 students, 21% of which are international. It also is a strongly research-oriented institute, which has led to its #182 ranking among universities worldwide. With more than 150 internationally recognised research teams, VUB performs high-level fundamental and applied research. Thanks to the creation of more than 20 spin-offs in various domains, VUB plays a prominent role in attracting and instigating new economic activity in and around the Brussels-Capital Region.
Teaching and research at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel are founded on the principle of unfettered inquiry to benefit the progress of mankind. This means rejecting dogmatic positions and guaranteeing the freedom to form opinions without interference; in this way the University aims to ensure the dispersal of the principle of unfettered inquiry throughout society.
The University is autonomous and democratically run. This means guaranteeing the exercise of the fundamental freedoms within the University, as well as the right of the University Community to participate in the decision-making process and scrutiny of University policy.
The following form part of the University’s mission:
- the development, the communication and the application of a high level of academic education and scientific research, free from all preconceived ideas;
- the translation of these ideals and knowledge into society in the spirit of social engagement;
- the creation of a society in which everyone is capable of engaging in critical thinking.
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE4 - 10
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Candidates should possess a PhD degree in Photonics or Physics.
- Experience in modelling and design of optical waveguides or optical fibres is a must.
- Candidates need to have the capacity to simulate and design dispersion and phase-engineered optical waveguides.
- A proven experience with modelling, handling and implementing photonic crystal fibres is considered a plus.
- Candidates with both theoretical and experimental skills will be favored.
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English (CEFR level C1 or equivalent) is required.
- Candidates should be able to carry out their research activities in an independent manner, whilst having excellent communication skills and a positive attitude towards collaboration. Regular interaction in a professional and constructive manner with the B-PHOT team members and with the project partners will be crucial.
- You should be prepared to travel within Belgium and within Europe to the CHARMING project partners for joint experiments and meetings.
Besides the criteria enlisted above, applications will be evaluated based on their overall quality.
The candidate is expected to endorse the educational vision of the university (full text available on the university website).
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
As B-PHOT’s main research centre is situated outside Brussels, candidates are preferred to have a driving license recognized as valid in the EU. They should also be prepared to travel to the CHARMING project partners (within Belgium and within Europe) for joint experiments and meetings.
EURAXESS offer ID: 378885
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.