ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstituto Superior Técnico
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biological engineeringChemistry › BiochemistryEngineering › Process engineeringTechnology › Biotechnology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE05/03/2019 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Lisbon
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/05/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions COFUND
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER812909
CODOBIO – Continuous Downstream Processing of Biologics - is a recently granted Marie Skłodowska Curie European Training Network. CODOBIO is implemented by a European Consortium of universities, research institutions and companies in the field of bioprocess engineering. Main objectives of CODOBIO are (i) process control and modelling of continuous downstream processes, (ii) miniaturization, scale-up and –down of continuous downstream processes and (iii) process design and development of integrated continuous downstream processes.
Instituto Superior Técnico aims to contribute to the development of society, promoting excellence in higher education, in the fields of Architecture, Engineering, Science and Technology by developing Research, Development and Innovation (RD&I) activities.
Starting with May 1, 2019, Instituto Superior Técnico offers in Lisbon, Portugal a PhD student position in Biotechnology and Biosciences.
The PhD project entitled "Microfluidic devices for continuous chromatography" aims at the intensification of the downstream processing of biological products through the establishment of a miniaturized platform for continuous chromatography to aid process design and development. The main objectives include:
- Design of different microfluidic chips prototypes for continuous purification of bioproducts through chromatography (3-columns and 4-coluns based designs);
- Evaluation of different fabrication methodologies including PDMS-based soft lithography;
- Determination of the target proteins breakthrough curves on the capture resins using high-throughput frontal analysis experiments;
- Testing of the microfluidic chip prototypes, first using model coloured solutions mimicking the Loading, Washing, Elution, Regeneration and Equilibration steps, and after using an artificial mixture of proteins;
- Validation of the microfluidic chip design for continuous purification of the target bioproduct from a clarified cell culture fluid and comparison with batch purification;
- Scale-up to lab and pilot scale chromatographic separations.
- Be part of a highly interacting interdisciplinary project team – structured secondments to other project partners are planned (including, TU Delft, ACIB and Shire)
- Start to build up your scientific network - meet and exchange regularly with 15 other PhD students working in the same project
- Join an embedded and customized education program– gain scientific/technical skills as well as transferable skills to complement your qualification
- Minimum yearly gross base salary of EUR 23,779.42. Mobility allowance and family allowance per month (from 600 to 850 € per month) may also be eligible.
Specific Eligibility Criteria valid at time of recruitment on the H2020 Marie Skłodowska Curie programme:
- The applicants has to be within the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Mobility rule: The applicants may not have resided or carried out main activity (studies, work, etc.) in Portugal for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the recruitment date.
Applicants must submit: cover letter, motivation letter, CV and three reference letters and their respective contact details. Applicants will be assessed by the quality of their CV, previous experience in the fields of the project and their relation to the work proposed.
Please send your application in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the reference “CODOBIO-ESR10” in the subject of the email.
Further information may be obtained from Ana Azevedo, Department of Bioengineering, Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa, Av. Rovisco Pais, 1040-001 Lisbon, Portugal, email@example.com
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Biotechnology, Biological Engineering, Bioengineering and related areas
- Good communication skills, independence, and a sense of responsibility
- Interpersonal skills conductive to team work and group research efforts
- Travel abroad for training purposes is part of the training programme
- Strong experience in downstream processing of biological products, in particular chromatography.
- Prior experience in nanotechnology, specifically in microfluidics, will be an advantage.
EURAXESS offer ID: 377190