ORGANISATION/COMPANYThe Cyprus Institute
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/02/2019 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCyprus › Nicosia
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK40
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit science and technology institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research aims of the Cyprus Institute are represented by three research centers: the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CASTORC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (STARC), and the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC). Considerable cross-center interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for an Intern who will have the opportunity to gain hands-on working experience through contributing in STARC’s research activities on Human Osteoarchaeology. More specifically, the Intern will contribute in the study of commingled human skeletal remains from various locations in Cyprus. The intern will also contribute in the publication of the data. This post will provide the intern the opportunity to engage in a particularly demanding type of osteoarchaeological research, the study of commingled remains, as well as gain experience in the macroscopic and microscopic analysis of human skeletal remains at the Bioarchaeology Laboratory facilities of STARC, gaining training in advanced osteological techniques.
The successful candidate will be carrying out the following activities:
- Sorting of commingled human skeletal remains
- Detailed recording of the bone study process
- Reporting to CyI faculty on the progress made regarding the study of the remains
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest and a list of one reference (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Asst. Prof. Efthymia Nikita (email@example.com). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
No of Reference Letters: 1
Contact Person: Asst. Prof. Efthymia Nikita
Reference Number: STARC_IHO_19_01
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Master’s degree in a related field such as Human Osteoarchaeology or Bioarchaeology or Biological/Physical Anthropology
- Previous experience the study of human skeletal remains from archaeological contexts with variable degrees of preservation.
- Proficiency in oral and written English. Knowledge of the Greek language will be considered an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team.
The appointment will be on a full-time basis for a fixed term of 5 months for the period of March- July 2019.
- Experience in the excavation of human skeletal remains (preferably from commingled contexts – mass burials)
EURAXESS offer ID: 377038