ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Gdansk
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › OpticsPhysics › Quantum mechanicsTechnology › Quantum technology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/03/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Gdansk
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/07/2019
We are looking for the Post-doctoral Researcher to work in the newly created International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies (ICTQT), funded by the Foundation for Polish Science, and hosted by the University of Gdansk. The founders of ICTQT are Marek Zukowski as the director, and Pawel Horodecki as a co- applicant. The Centre’s official foreign partner is IQOQI-Vienna of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Gdansk is the pioneering and leading center of quantum information research in Poland. Gdansk, and the whole Tri-City, is one of the most beautifully located urban areas in Poland, with sandy sea beaches, lakes, and woods within in it and in the nearby area. It is the birthplace of Polish jazz and rock festivals, and vibrant in many fields.
The Centre consists of 7 groups: Multiphoton Quantum Optics for Quantum Information (leader Marek Zukowski); New Quantum Resources I (leader Paweł Horodecki); New Quantum Resources II (leader Michał Horodecki); Quantum Cybersecurity and Communication (leader Marcin Pawłowski); Foundational Underpinnings of Quantum Technologies (leader Ana Belen Sainz); Quantum Computation, Quantum Error Correction and Many-body Systems; Quantum Open Systems.
About research group
The broad aim of Multiphoton Quantum Optics for Quantum Information group is to develop theoretical quantum information science of immediate experimental testability as well as to study the fundamental issues like causality, new concepts in theoretical quantum optics, and efficiency of quantum (optical) protocols.
Specific goals include:
- Operational translation of the schemes proposed by the other groups of ICTQT into experimental optical setups and feasibility studies.
- Direct collaboration with experimental teams of our IQOQI partner as well as other laboratories.
- Investigations concerning device independent or self-testing quantum communication, quantum information processing schemes, aimed at commercialization.
- Search for new research avenues in quantum optics allowing demonstrations of quantum protocols or various kinds.
- New indicators of non-classicality in quantum optics.
- Application of theoretical/operational/experimental methods of quantum multiphoton interferometry to other processes of potential value for quantum communication and information processing.
- Quantum optical implementations of secure data transmission.
- Theory of optical test of quantum mechanics.
Keywords: quantum optics, multiphoton interferometry, reduction of communication complexity, foundations of quantum physics, quantum information, Bell’s theorem, quantum optical circuits.
The goal of the post-doctoral researcher will be to partake in the research of the group and experiment, as well within ICTQT as a whole, and our external partners, including experimentalists. Candidates aiming at forming their own sub-group, funded from external grants, would be welcome.
The position of the Post-doctoral Researcher offered by the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies of the University of Gdansk is within implementation of the project “International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies”. The project is financed by the Foundation for Polish Science from the funds of the Smart Growth Operational Programme, axis IV: Increasing the research potential (Measure 4.3) under the International Research Agendas Programme.
Key responsibilities include:
- Active scientific research.
- Presentation of project results to internal and external parties.
- Active procurement of new research grants from external sources.
- Participation in mentoring of PhD and Master students.
- Participation in organizational activity of ICTQT.
- Active involvement in seminars, group meetings etc.
- employment in a rapidly developing unit, the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies at the University of Gdansk, Poland;
- full-time employment from July, 1 2019 till June, 30 2022 (36 months). The start date of employment is negotiable; the employment period may be extended after an evaluation;
- gross monthly salary up to PLN 12 500 (depending on candidate’s qualifications);
- scientific and organizational support;
- basic equipment and core facilities;
- friendly, inspiring, interdisciplinary environment, including “entanglement” with National Centre for Quantum Information (KCIK) and Institute for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics (IFTiA) at UG.
General rules of the recruitment process
- Candidates may simultaneously apply for other postdoctoral positions offered by ICTQT. This must be declared in the application form.
- The final choice may be made in the course of negotiations between the leaders and the candidates.
- A postdoctoral position is offered to candidates who received PhD degree obtained in 2015 or later. PhD students, who plan to defend their PhD thesis no later than August 2019, may also take part in recruitment.
- The decision will be made by the ICTQT Selecting Commission (SC) within 3 months from the deadline for submission of applications.
- An interview is expected. SC reserves the right to invite only pre-selected candidates for the interview.
- SC’s decision is final and is not subject to appeal.
- SC reserves the right to close the competition without selecting the candidate.
filled-in recruitment form;
a research resume with a list of publications, and a list of research projects (esp. those in which the candidate was the principal investigator); PDF files of three most important papers by the candidate (or just web links, in the case of open access publications); a list of invited talks at conferences and workshops, and a list of academic prizes and awards;
motivation letter (including statement of current scientific interests)– up to 2 pages;
documents confirming scientific degrees (copy of PhD diploma, or equivalent);
name and contact details (e-mail addresses) to two senior researchers who may provide reference for the candidate (the candidate is expected to contact the referees and ask them to send reference letters directly to email@example.com. The letters must be sent before the deadline.). ICTQT may also contact the referees directly, to request the letters, or to send reminders.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- PhD degree preferably in physics (PhD degree obtained in 2015 or later). PhD degree in computer science or mathematics is also acceptable.Interest in mathematical and conceptual foundations of quantum mechanics, quantum optics and quantum information.
- Some experience in numerical calculation would be welcome, as well as an experience in collaboration with experimentalist.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
EURAXESS offer ID: 376033
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.