ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Luxembourg
RESEARCH FIELDCommunication sciencesEngineeringMathematics
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/03/2019 00:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONLuxembourg › Belval
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/02/2019
The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international, research University.
Luxembourg aims to strategically place itself in an internationally leading role in the exploration and utilization of space resources. Luxembourg has a long history of successful space activities, starting in 1985 with the creation of SES, the world's largest commercial satellite operator, and the development of a space industry which today makes up close to 2% of GDP. In 2005, Luxembourg joined ESA to participate in its R&D programs.
In 2016, Luxembourg made an even more ambitious step by launching the SpaceResources initiative (e.g. asteroid mining), which resulted in a legal framework for the exploration and exploitation of space resources and continues to attract innovative space companies from all over the world to Luxembourg. In 2018, the Luxembourg Space Agency was founded to vigorously promote further growth of the space sector and related education and research activities.
In this environment, the University of Luxembourg - which ranks 12th among the worldwide best universities under 50 years in the Times Higher Education (THE) Ranking - aims to become a major, visionary player in space education and research. An Interdisciplinary Space Master with a focus on Space Informatics (not limited to AI/Robotics/Security , Distributed Systejs and Telecommunications), combining space studies and entrepreneurship training, will be launched in fall 2019 to support the growing space-ecosystem in Luxembourg.
The Computer Science and Communications (CSC) research unit of the University of Luxembourg, one of its main pillars of research excellence, is seeking applications for a postdoc position (research associate) in Space Informatics who will support the development of space-related education and research activities.
We particularly encourage candidates who can realise a research vision for security and reliability of space systems, in the context of increased cooperation and competition for space.
- Contract: Initially 2 years fixed term (CDD), full-time 40 hrs/week, extendable to 5 years.
- Start: as soon as possible
The successful candidate will join a strong and motivated research unit to conduct research in the area of Space Informatics. They will also be involved in building up the Interdisciplinary Space Master, including a module on Security and Reliability.
- The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer.
- You will work in a stimulating international and interdisciplinary environment.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Robotics, Engineering, Mathematics, Telecommunications, or a related discipline.
- Expertise in methods for guaranteeing security and reliability is a plus. For example, methods applicable to testing and formally verifying systems, methods for designing secure systems.
- Experience in projects with applications to Space Informatics; or a clear vision for how their research methodology is relevant to Space Informatics.
- Experience with international cooperation.
- Experience in teaching.
- A strong research publication record.
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Commitment, creativity, and teamwork skills.
To apply please send the following:
- send a detailed CV (contact address, studies with grades, work experience, publication list),
- a list of 2 referees,
- a motivation letter explaining your vision for research in Space Informatics,
- a description of possible research interests/ideas.
- Only complete applications will be considered. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- Early submission is encouraged ; applications will be processed upon arrival. Applications sent by e-mail will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer.
EURAXESS offer ID: 368543