ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Luxembourg
RESEARCH FIELDCommunication sciencesComputer scienceEngineeringInformation scienceMathematics
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/03/2019 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONLuxembourg › Belval
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/02/2019
The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research university, ranked 12th among the worldwide best universities under 50 years in the Times Higher Education (THE) Ranking 2018.
Luxembourg aims to strategically place itself in an internationally leading role in the exploration and utilization of space resources. Luxembourg has a long history of successful space activities, starting in 1985 with the creation of SES, the world's largest commercial satellite operator, and the development of a space industry which today makes up close to 2% of GDP. In 2005, Luxembourg joined ESA to participate in its R&D programs.
In 2016, Luxembourg made an even more ambitious step by launching the SpaceResources initiative (e.g. asteroid mining), which resulted in a legal framework for the exploration and exploitation of space resources and continues to attract innovative space companies from all over the world to Luxembourg. In 2018, the Luxembourg Space Agency was founded to vigorously promote further growth of the space sector and related education and research activities.
In this environment, the University of Luxembourg - which ranks 12th among the worldwide best universities under 50 years in the Times Higher Education (THE) Ranking - aims to become a major, visionary player in space education and research. An Interdisciplinary Space Master Program with a focus on Space Informatics (not limited to AI, Robotics, Security and Telecommunications), combining space studies and entrepreneurship training, will be launched in fall 2019 to support the growing space-ecosystem in Luxembourg.
The Computer Science and Communications (CSC) research unit of the University of Luxembourg, one of its main pillars of research excellence, is seeking applications for a postdoc position (research associate) in Space Informatics who will support the development of space-related education and research activities.
- The successful candidate will join a strong and motivated research unit to help spearhead research in the area of Space Informatics, broadly interpreted as encompassing methods from AI, robotics, reliability, security, communications, and data science. The research fellow will also take a leading role in building up the Interdisciplinary Space Master.
Nature of the position:
- Contract: Initially 2 years fixed term (CDD), full-time 40 hrs/week, extendable to 5 years.
- Start: as soon as possible!
- Ref: 50013986
- The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer.
- You will work in a stimulating international and interdisciplinary environment.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Robotics, Engineering, Mathematics, Telecommunications, or a related discipline. Note for the inter-disciplinary master program, we broadly interpret which disciplines fall under Space Informatics.
- Experience in projects with applications to Space Informatics, or a clear vision for how the applicant’s research methodology is relevant to Space Informatics.
- Experience with international cooperation.
- Experience in teaching, and developing course material.
- A strong research publication record.
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Commitment, creativity, and teamwork skills.
To apply please send the following.
- send a detailed CV (contact address, studies with grades, work experience, publication list),
- a list of 2 referees,
- a motivation letter explaining your vision for research in Space Informatics,
- a description of possible research interests/ideas.
Only complete applications will be considered. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence. Early submission is encouraged; applications will be processed upon arrival. Applications sent by e-mail will not be considered. Deadline for sending your application is March 31st 2019. Your start date can be earlier than 31 March 2019.
EURAXESS offer ID: 368537
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.