ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Electronic engineeringEngineering › MicroengineeringPhysics › Optics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/02/2019 16:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER813786
The group Microfluidics and Complex Fluids led by prof. Piotr Garstecki at the Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences, the leading research entity among large chemical research organizations in Poland, offers a 3-year PhD (Early Stage Researcher, ESR) position in the framework of the Marie-Curie Innovative Training Networks (ITN) EvoDrops.
EvoDrops is a European consortium consisting of more than 10 partners with the common goal to utilize droplet-based microfluidics for applications in directed evolution. The principle of Directed Evolution (Nobel Price 2018) mimics in vitro the mechanisms of natural evolution that led to the emergence of functional molecules in living organisms. To properly function, directed evolution is based on high-throughput screening tools and droplet-based microfluidics here provide the toolbox for the screening and selection of thousands of compounds per second.
The objective of the thesis is to develop optical and analytical methods for the detection of biological and chemical reactions in droplets. The ESRs will be trained in fundamentals of light and fluorescence microscopy and in using advanced light techniques for high sensitivity assays. For high-sensitivity and high-throughput assays, laser-based and photomultiplier tubes (PMT) optical detection methods will be developed. Improved analytical systems based on fluorescence and absorbance readout for parallelized measurements is foreseen in order to improve the throughput and the scope of biological assays. Signal recording will be performed in real-time using home written software.
The candidate must be interested and preferably should have experience in one or more of the following areas: optics, laser-based detection, micromechanics, micro-engineering, microfluidics, programming. A good level of English is required, as well as good communication skills and reporting capabilities.
- Middle-term employment contract (3 years, with envisaged starting date 1. April 2019 ) – full time position
- Attractive salary (monthly avg. ca. EUR 1,750 net, i.e. after deductions, including mobility allowance),
- Work in a dynamic research group of Microfluidics and Complex Fluids which is made up of members representing diverse interests and qualifications – see details on the website: http://ichf.pong.pl/en/
- Possibility to collaborate with research groups engaged in the project
- Possession of master degree in science, preferably in physics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or similar
- Application must be submitted by an Early-Stage researcher fulfilling Mobility criterion, i.e. researcher who is in the first four years of his/her research career, does not have a doctoral degree, and has not resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Poland for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the appointment]
- Very good knowledge of the English language
- Experience in one or more of the following fields: optics, soft matter (experimental work), programming, designing experimental systems, preferably experience in designing, constructing and testing microfluidic systems.
Application documents including:
- Curriculum Vitae (incl. contact details) and motivational letter,
- scan of master’s degree diploma and of an official transcript of the student’s record,
- list of publications/ list of patents, industrial and utility design (applications or granted rights)/ list of research and/or application projects
- opinion of an independent researcher on a candidate (recommendation letter),
- consent regarding the collection and processing of the candidate's personal data (ichf.edu.pl/RODO_doktorant-stypendysta_zgoda_PL_EN.doc),
- declaration that a candidate is an Early-Stage Researcher fulfilling Mobility criterion (see: Eligibility criteria above),
- documents confirming knowledge of English language.
should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org (email title: ICHF/28/2018) by the 16th of January, 2019
Candidates will be selected on the basis of a motivation letter and CV, after which selected candidates will be interviewed (also possible via Skype or similar application).
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalentEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
EURAXESS offer ID: 365230
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.