RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Civil engineeringEngineering › Industrial engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE23/01/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Gent
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
Last application date: Jan 23, 2019 23:59
Department: TW14 - Department of Structural engineering
Contract: Limited duration
Degree: Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Civil or Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology or related studies
Occupancy rate: 100%
Vacancy Type: Research staff
The Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (ITN) "DuRSAAM - PhD Training Network on Durable, Reliable and Sustainable Structures with Alkali-Activated Materials" funded by the European Commission (H2020) invites applications for 1 full-time Early Stage Researcher (ESR) PhD position at Ghent University (Belgium), with a minimum duration of 36 months, starting at 23/01/2019.
Concrete structures are used extensively for buildings, transport, infrastructure and maritime applications. The downside of using concrete is associated with durability issues and huge environmental costs, as the cement industry accounts for 8% of global anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions; and around 60% of all non-renewable resources are used in construction, making it one of the least sustainable industries. There is a clear demand for a new, sustainable generation of construction materials, since Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC)-based concrete cannot meet all the challenges of modern society concerning durability and sustainability. The DuRSAAM action addresses the study of a new sustainable generation of construction materials based on alkali-activated materials (AAM) by establishing a training and research network.
DuRSAAM is a collaborative PhD framework creating a critical mass of experts skilled in innovative AAM concrete, as a key enabling technology for a sustainable and resilient built environment. The consortium brings together 7 academic and 15 non-academic partners, to excel in the scientific development and exploitation of AAM concrete, advancing design, modelling and practice beyond the state-of-the-art. The network will deliver world-leading training in this multidisciplinary field through 13 PhDs in interrelated aspects of AAM concrete, fibre reinforced high-performance concrete, and textile-reinforced mortar, as well as sustainability assessment.
More information on www.dursaam.eu
The ESR will investigate the use of AAM optimized mortar with technical textiles to strengthen existing concrete elements (Textile-Reinforced Mortar so-called TRM). The aim of this ESR project is to generate a fundamental understanding of the material properties of AAM-TRM and the structural behaviour of concrete members strengthened with AAM-TRM. Planned academic secondment (6 months at University of Patras, Prof. T. Triantafillou) and industrial internship (1 month) will complete the training of the ESR.
Profile of the candidate
- Applicants should have a master’s degree (or equivalent) in Civil or Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology or related studies, with a strong interest in concrete technology, durability and sustainability assessment and modelling.
- Above all, applicants should have
- a high interest in scientific research;
- an independent and well-organized working style, demanding high quality of your own work;
- well-developed social skills directed towards working in an interdisciplinary team, excellent interpersonal and communicative skills;
- strong motivation to succeed in scientific research, excellent presentation and scientific writing skills, excellent English language skills (verbally and written).
- PhD candidates applying for this position must (at the time of recruitment) be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have a doctoral degree.
- Researchers can be of any nationality and are required to undertake trans-national mobility; they will have to reside mainly in Ghent and to spend roughly 6 months at the University of Patras.
- Researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity in Belgium for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the start date of their employment.
How to apply
Applications must contain the following documents:
- a personal (motivation) letter and curriculum vitae,
- a copy of degree certificates and associated certificates,
- a transcript of records of the bachelor and master curriculum,
- a copy of degree projects and any previous publications,
- a proof of English language skills,
- two recommendation letters (or alternatively the names and email addresses of two references).
The documents should be sent to Stijn.Matthys@UGent.be:
Professor Stijn Matthys,
Department of Structural Engineering,
Magnel Laboratory for Concrete Research,
EURAXESS offer ID: 365216
Posting organisation offer ID: 122830
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.